Laying a slab for a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Im wanting to lay a concrete slab at the back of my house.
About 5M * 4M.

There wont be anyone driving on it however i am going to put a canopy over it (clear Polycarbonate roof on steel frame)

It will be a lean to roof with only a very small angle and the roof will be attached to the wall at one side and pillars down onto the slab on the other.

Im wondering what the norm would be regarding hardcore/concrete depths and the need for rebar in it.

The soil is quite compact.

Marty

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yeah maybe it would ... I'd still prefer something along the lines of concrete as I envisage working out there occasionally.
Is a polished concrete slab a hard thing to achieve.
Cheers
Marty.

Literally anything!!

Any sort of DIY thats too dirty to do inside!
I do have a garage but some work lends itself to being @ the back door.

I could be breaking an engine one week...just servicing a bike/plumbing/carpentry anything really.

This week for example ive been a tree surgeon and a gutter installer!

Marty

So why do you want concrete?

It won't shrug off oil stains, and will just end up looking even more naff than before.

I thought it would be less prone to staining than say bricks....(if it were sealed anyway)
But im open to correction on this!

If your not experienced working with concrete you will find it pretty difficult to get any kind of decent finish. If it doesn't need any aesthetic quality then go nuts but 20sqm is a big enough thing to look at.

a few inches of compacted hardcore and a 4 inch slab would be fine.

Can you rope in a mate who has trowelled concrete before? For a slab that size you'll probably need a bull-float

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back