Laying concrete floor to entire ground floor of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

As part of my refurb project to my 1935 house I've decided to replace the entire ground floor suspended timber floor with a solid floor. I'll have 100mm concrete then 100mm insulation with 50/60mm screed to encase wet UFH pipes. This will of course be on MOT, sand, DPM.

I've built a ground floor extension on the back so overall ground floor area is something like 80m2. Apart from the living room, the dinning room, kitchen and extension are open plan so I was wondering if i'd need to include expansion gaps somewhere in this enormous slab!

I've the same question regards the screed too. I know i need to run thin insulation round the perimeter but will i also need to have expansion gaps in that also? I wanted to go for the free flow self levelling stuff.

Before anyone replies saying this is an expensive solution there are numerous reasons why the timber floor needed to go, first one being it was pretty rotten in places. I've insulated internal walls with 70mm thermo boards so seemed daft having a freezing cold void beneath my feet only separated by 27mm of floor board. The timbers had also distorted over time where the house has settled so seemed like the best (albeit most expensive) solution.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah stick some in, no harm and they are free.
But for your concrete it would not really make any difference as it does not matter if it cracks in odd places.

Your screed supplier will beadle to guide you on any expansion cuts as each product is different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back