Laying concrete strip foundations in this weather!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a novice DIYer, I've spent the last month researching and planning pouring concrete footings for single skin wall, build the wall, lay hardcore and slabs and create a land drain!

I've dug out to depth for the footings today, hoping to pour concrete tomorrow (weather permitting). Am I best lining the trench with polythene sheeting and pouring the concrete onto that to prevent residual water in the soil from mixing with the concrete?

Watched plenty of videos where concrete is poured into trench without any formwork. Am I stupid to consider using chipboard to create formwork? Trench is 5 metres long and trying to scrimp on timber if I can avoid it!

Any responses will be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Dig a trench is the standard industry approach, as long as the ground is suitable i.e. the sides of the trench will remain in a perpendicular (upright) angle to form the mould sides. When you use any form of timber/ply etc. then these should be removed once the concrete has set (next day during the winter months) but not dried. A we bit of cooking oil or grease rubbed onto the surface to act as a release agent, helps to...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back