Laying copper pipes for gas & water under screed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!

Our builders have laid 5 22mm pipes under screed in kitchen (for flow, return, gas, hot & cold). All were wrapped in 1 layer of denso tape, although one pipe lost part of the denso tape when they had to dig up near the pipes! :rolleyes:

These pipes are to feed directly into a new combi boiler, although the gas, hot & cold will need to be teed off near the floor (behind cabinet plinths) to feed a range, sink, d/w, w/m and american fridge as well as the boiler

Not convinced the chased pipes comply with gas or water regs, even if one wasn't damaged!? :?:

If we have to, would laying speedfit/hep2o in conduits be sufficient? Presumably gas has to be copper, so would denso tape and a conduit satisfy gas regs? :?: (Not planning on doing any gas connections ourselves, just want to minimise costs!)

Also is there a minimum distance between combi connections and plastic pipework? :?:

Will be grateful for any thoughts!!! Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Domestic water has to be ducted or in a conduit if plastic. heating pipes you can please yourself although conduit is better than wrap.

Gas I assume will be the right size can be denso wrapped after testing, so even if you put the pipe in you can't wrap or cover it.

There must be a 1m minimum before the plastic pipe, gas cannot be plastic.

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry for my confusion, but what do you mean by ducting? What is the difference between ducting and conduiting? :?: :oops:

If we replaced all but gas with plastic, can I just use speedfit conduiting and then tape over at conduit ends? :?:

My local plumbers merchant said hep2o pipe can be laid straight into screed but thought water regs say 'pipe in pipe'? Bought some anyway, but not used before, I assume speedfit fitting still work on hep2o? :?:

As for gas, if I can't wrap it before connecting and testing, can I just lay it unwrapped in a conduit and under screed until corgi man arrives? :?:

I assumed that 22mm copper was sufficient for combi and duel fuel range?

Thanks!

Ducting is a duct for running the pipes in with an access lid.

With plastic pipes you can use a conduit or as you have said pipe in pipe.

Never a good idea to cross mix fittings. unless you use compression.

Unless you use plastic coated copper and no joints the pipe must be visible.

No, I very much doubt 22mm will be sufficient, unless its a very short run

Sponsored Links
Thank you!

So, if I have this right...

I can run speedfit pipe in speedfit conduits (presumably taped at conduit ends) for hot, cold, flow & return.

For gas, I'd need a separate duct with ply lid that is flush with screed around it and not tile over until corgi man comes?

Run is just under 2 metres, but would need larger gas pipe for the bit in the duct anyway?

Hmm think the ceiling void option for gas is easier even with all the bends!

Blimey, knowledge is power but ever so confusing! :confused:

Because its Outlawed :LOL:

Yellow plastic is for underground service pipes.

plastic is forbidden for gas in houses incase of fire damage and/or physical damage by occupants. (building regs)

Thanks for all the useful info!!

I think we'll get a few more corgi men in before deciding what to do with the pipe extension...!

I'm guessing they'll favour extending it through the ceiling void, but it would mean a few more elbows, how many are allowed? :?:

Bit of a pain as ceiling has just been plastered and district surveyor wants to keep a nib of wall that the gas pipe would have to go through or around. Its 18cm deep on one side and 13cm deep on other and 27cm wide. Do you think this would be a problem sleeving through this? :?:

Sorry for all the questions just want to be prepared for all the inevitable change of plans! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back