Laying down a roof with plain concrete tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The roofs are being replaced on a few small blocks of flats where I live.

The roof on my property was laid down very quickly and I was surprised not to see any nails used to fix the concrete plain tiles to the battens on the roof (slope around 45 degrees). Each tile has a nib on the reverse and two holes on each side. Both verges at the end of the roof are cemented with mortar but apart from that no nails or clips seem to have been used to secure the tiles. I've researched on the subject and I've read that plain tiles should be nailed here and there. Should it be a cause for concern?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Traditional plain tiles were never nailed every course; if they were, replacing a broken tile would cause the breakage of several other adjacent tiles.

The eaves course is usually nailed down, as well as all the tiles up the verge. But the bulk of the tiling is usually nailed every 4th or 5th course.

Sponsored Links
Tiles should be secured to manufacturers specs and local wind load stats (which is usually ignored).
The very least(imho)requirements are all perimeters and every 5th row.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back