Spacing between plain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a large double garage with an insulated attic truss with a 45 degrees pitch. I've purchased cross cambered clay plain tiles (humber tuscans) for the roof covering and I will attempt to lay them myself. I've read literature mentioning 2 or 3mm gap between the tiles. Although I've designed the building to work with 46 tiles in a row with 3mm gap between the tiles, I forgot to allow for the gable end detail where the top two courses overhang by 25mm each side. Now, if I'm sticking to the 40mm roof overhang the overall roof is 50mm wider which means I would now need to allow 4mm gaps between the tiles to eliminate any cuts. As the clay plain tiles have an uneven edge the gap could end up 5mm in places. Will this be ok or do I need to re think my approach.

Many thanks,

Constantin.

Sponsored Links
Just lay the tiles and see what works at the verge. You would not physically gap them, but you could do up to about 5mm to avoid cutting.

if you keep the tiles tight assuming the tiles are 165mm wide 3mm × 46= 138 mm . you increase your over hang on the gables to 53 mm you make it full tiles but 47 tiles instead of 46.

if you keep the tiles tight assuming the tiles are 165mm wide 3mm × 46= 138 mm . you increase your over hang on the gables to 53 mm you make it full tiles but 47 tiles instead of 46.
But this means no gap, on the manufacturers website they mention 3mm gap....Although on the same site the photos appear to have no gaps?!

Sponsored Links
easiest way is run a course through and see what you've got. take the tiles from more than one pallet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back