Laying driveway in low temperatures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm pondering having a driveway laid next week - natural stone tiles on a concrete bed - about 38 square meters - but I'm worried about the frost.

Can anyone confirm if it's likely to cause a problem for the bedding mix? We're getting quite heavy frosts in early mornings here at the moment, but daytime temperatures are generally 5-7c above freezing.

The jointing will be done with epoxy mortar so that's not relevant, it's just the bedding material underneath I'm worried about.

Thanks for any advice,
Rich

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be too worried about a concrete sub base, basic precautions to cover it should be ok but the bedding mortar for the flags is more in need of caution.

If you must lay in cold weather Adding frostproofer etc would help but the big danger with that is adhesion. Frostproofers of any kind will reduce adhesion to the flags which on a driveway is very important. If your using a bonding primer then its not an issue but I would avoid frost proofers if not.

Shouldn't be a problem if it's under slabs as long as the ingredients and slabs (and ground) are not freezing before hand. Takes a whole for the temperature below ground to cool. If you can dig and lay on the same day the ground will be warmer. You can store the slabs etc in an integral garage or something to give them a head start if you're really worried.

Edit when we did ours I covered all the fresh concrete with asda basics bed sheets (not the best ones) to avoid weather damage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back