Quantities for patio materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to order up some materials for laying a patio, and having read the advice on here and elsewhere, I just wanted to double check that the quantities sound about right.

The size of the patio is around 32m2, so I have been working on 35m2 to allow for wastage etc.

The stones we want to use are Coral Natural Sandstone Flags from www.rock-unique.com - 56cmx56cm, plus a 3m Circle Kit with squaring kit. Anyone have any experience with them? Are they reputable?

My calculations show we need:
70 flags plus the 3m Circle & Squaring kit

Then for the 100mm compacted MOT1 base, I reckon about 7tonnes of MOT1. The guy who is laying it wants to mix a bit of cement in with the MOT1 layer, so say 2 x 25kg bags of cement for this layer as well.

Then for the 50mm Mortar Bed, using Thermo's recommended 4sharp:2Building:1Cement, I reckon about 2tonnes of Sharp to 1tonne of Building, to 0.5tonne of cement to cover the 35m2 to about 50mm. I know that Natural stone can be of variable thickness, so is a 50mm mortar bed going to be feasible?

Then for the pointing - not sure on whether to use sharp or building here. I have seen conflicting advice. Maybe 50/50 - ie 2sharp:2building:1cement? Not sure on the quantities though? I'm guessing not massive, so maybe see how much is left after the mortar bed is laid, and top up if necessary from Wickes or something?

I'm guessing that sand is sand is sand etc so just to go for the cheapest supplier I can find?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've tried to research as much as I can, but just need a bit of help on this last bit...

Cheers

MM

Sponsored Links
how did you get to 7 tonnes? You dont need to add any cement to mot, its self binding and doesnt need it at all. The guy is wasting time and money and talking out of his arse. does he know what hes doing?

ill have a look at the other quantities when i have a bit more time, but point it with building sand.

go for a decent sand for the pointing, some stuff can be very orange or boney and isnt as workable. not much price difference in them either.

youll get the materials cheaper from a builders merchant than wickes, by the time youve paid for delivery

Hi Thermo,

Thanks for the reply - really appreciate it.

To get 7 tonnes, I used the calculator here
http://www.pavingexpert.com/calcall.htm#focus14
2nd one down is the one I used. Does that seem too much?

Thanks for looking at the other figures. Will wait to hear from you. Can you recommend any "brands" of sand to use (or avoid). Willing to pay a little extra. I only want to do this job once ;)

Cheers

MM

Hi,

Have been pricing up some of the materials and it seems that B&Q is the cheapest?!? I know that everyone says try local builders merchants etc, but B&Qs prices seem to be about 20% cheaper than other quotes I have had, for example;

Bulk Bag of MOT1 - £36.98
Bulk Bag of Sharp Sand -£32.98
Bulk Bag of Building Sand - £32.98.
Blue Circle Mastercrete 25kg - £3.38

Delivery is free over £400, which I think this lot would qualify.

Prices taken from their website just now, and they seem pretty competitive to me and perhaps a bit too good to be true. Has anyone got any horror stories from using any of their stuff?

Also, would appreciate any advice on the quantities above, as I am hoping to order this week.

Thanks

MM

Sponsored Links
check the size of the bulk bags. some places do 0.60 tonnes, some 0.85 and some 1.0 tonne bags. If thats the cheapest go with them. may be worth trying some local small delivery guys who deliver it loose from transit tippers etc. If youre not worried about keeping it in bulk bags then thye are the cheapest way.

Thanks for that Thermo. Will double check the sizes with them tomorrow. Do you think the 7 tonnes I came up with seems too much?

Thanks for your help - it is reassuring to have the help of yourself and others who know what they are talking about!

7 tonnes might be a touch over, i worked it out to about 6. Oh and dont let him mix cement in with it. Is he a friend or a builder/landscaper?

He's a friend from work, who has laid quite a few other peoples here, who have all been impressed with the workmanship and quality of what he has done. He has a sort of "handyman" business as well as what he does during the day. Not a dodgy sort, a pretty straight up chap ,and to be honest, with what he is charging (£500 fixed fee), a bit of a bargain.

Buyer beware and all that, I know, but I trust him to do a good job. I'll just try and persude him not to mix the cement in! At least I can work with him to get it done, whereas with a landscaper who I don't know from Adam, that wouldn't be an option. I will know from your advice given here and on other threads if he is cutting corners.

Do you think the tonnages for the sand and cement look OK? Again, I think they might be a bit over, but I'd rather have a bit left over than not enough and not do it right or have to bomb it round to the shop before Sunday closing to get a couple of extra bags!

your in the right area, a bit over, but its never an exact science.

If hes done work before fine, just dont mix in the cement with the mot! put it down when its damp and then see how rock solid it goes when it dries out on its own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back