laying flagstone over adjacent concrete and gravel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would love some recommendations to a tricky situation with a new house I've just bought in Denver. It's an old Victorian that's been vertically split into three units (basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor). Two of the units have side entrances, and I'd like to spruce up the area on the side with the entrances.

Right now, there is a very narrow walk that leads from the sidewalk, up two steps, then along the side of the house to the back. Next to the walk is several feet of pea gravel (I presume for drainage), 3-4 inches deep. The top of the pea gravel is about 2 in. below the surface of the walk. Where the walk goes up two steps, the pea gravel is held in place by some small pieces of stone laid on an angle. In places, the concrete walk goes right to the house and in other places there is 3-4 inches of dirt between the house and the walk.

My problem is this - I'd like to lay flagstone along the entire side of the house without having to break up the walk or remove all the pea gravel and pour a new walk. So I'm thinking I could compact the gravel, then compact about 2 in. of sand on top of the gravel, and then lay the entire area with a wet base. However, I've never heard of anyone using wet base over sand, so I don't know if that will work.

Also, I'd like my steps to be flagstone and not concrete, so I'm planning on covering the existing steps with flagstone. They're low so it won't create a high stepp. However, next to the concrete steps, it's basically a dirt slope with some stones loosely laid on a steep slope, so I am totally lost as to how to create the flagstone steps where I don't have pre-made concrete steps.

All advice, commentary is welcome, but I'd especially like tips and comments on:
1) wet install over adjacent concrete/sand bases; and
2) flagstone steps in dirt next to existing concrete steps.

Thanks all!!!

p.s., I'll try to post photos before Friday to better explain the situation.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I can't answer your question about the steps but with regards to laying the flagstones...............about six months ago I had a similar dilema - there was an existing UGLY concrete path which I wanted to replace with some nice Yorkstone slabs. At first I attempted to break it up with a pick-axe, but discovered that the concrete was about 30cms thick :eek: (obviously built to last). I decided that it was too daunting a job to break it all up, so I thought I would try to put some sand over it and lay the slabs on top. I didn't want them permenantly fixed, so I didn't cement them down. I put a layer of about 5cms of sand down and laid the slabs on top - bedding them down by jumping up and down on them - much to the amusement of the neighbours !! TI finished it off by putting some kiln dried sand between the joints.

So far, the slabs have remained stable with no wobble or movement, and there have been a few days of heavy rain here :p

It may not be the best method, but it worked for me, and it was far easier than other options :cool:

Good luck,

Gary

you cant compact gravel and if you pour concrete over sand it will shift and crack. You need a firm base of hardcore or crushed stone
As for the steps im not sure if your looking to dig into the side of the slope and just lay them on the earth (the pictures will help!) The best method is to form the steps in concrete or brick and then lay the flagstones on top of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back