Laying floor tiles onto old vinyl floor tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have old vinyl tiles stuck (VERY well) in the kitchen and I am about to replace them with ceramic tiles.

I can remove the old vinyl tiles with a hot air blower / steamer to soften the adhesive, but how do I remove the adhesive - or can I tile on top of this?

I have seen an adhesive which says I can tile onto vinyl (bitumen adhesive I think it was) but it's very expensive (approx. £35 for 10kg bag). Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I used a hot air blower to remove them from our last kitchen. They were stuck doen with some sort of bitumen compound. I then cleaned and cleaned and cleaned with white spirit until the old adhesive had been removed. The tiles were then fixed with your bog standard Bal ceramic tile adhesive.

mix pva half and half with water add cement and a few hand fulls of sand and apply with a roller.

I wish I had known that when I was busy scrubbing with tthe white spirit.

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
mix pva half and half with water add cement and a few hand fulls of sand and apply with a roller.

Do you mean to apply this to the old adhesive?

i done mine last weekend got all the tiles up and was left with all the adhesive, mixed pva with cement and a few hand fulls of sand and mixed it up like creamy paint and rollered the floor, the next day it was like a concrete floor. mixed pva 5-1 and rolled that on to kill any suction then tiled, the jobs a gooden.

yeah, my turn to revel in the joys of levelling a kitchen floor!

same story, the old vinyl tiles are off, and most of the old adhesive still remains. gonna do as jbonding suggests and mix pva and water with cement and sand, and then roller it over the adhesive.

silly question really, but much of each stuff to use? i have to cover roughly 12sq. metres. jbonding, u still there...?

or is there a levelling compound i can use directly over the old adhesive?

depending on what pva you buy the cheaper the runnier. mix up pva 1-1 with water a few hand fulls of cement and a couple of handfulls of sand you should end up with like a grey thick paint apply with a roller and leave it till the next day ;)

mumbley said:
or is there a levelling compound i can use directly over the old adhesive?

there are probably products on the market but im sure there based along this method and this way its cheaper ;)

thanks for that, jbonding.

only realised after i posted it that i was breaking a couple of the forum's rules, ie. replying to an 'old' post, and sort of asking the same thing again....oops!

will paint the floor with pva/cement/sand mix as a base for the levelling compound - which i'm obliged to use cos the floor slopes away to the edges and some places are 20mm deep! so i've decided to use wickes latex levelling compound (the mix with water type) mixed with sand to bring it up to level..... and then the dpm and underlay for the laminate flooring.

this is my first attempt to do this... let's see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back