Laying floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have loose floorboards on my landing, probably caused by traffic, dodgy cutting when central heating was put and one or two are worn out for.

I've tried to sort some with counter sunk screws but some boards split and it seems that there's too many worn out. So, ive decided to replace them. I have noticed that when I replaced a small one it is slightly thicker than the old ones by 2mm so when I replace the old ones and end at the bedroom door they will be slightly raised against the bedroom ones. Will this cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
what thickness are they!!
b&q wicks=19mm wood yards builder merchants 21mm

18mm from wickes...I assume you are telling me that the boards that are down are from a builders yard and were put in when the house was built

Most builders merchants sell both 19mm & 21mm boards for this reason..

Sponsored Links
It seems that the new one i bought is thicker then the ones I have at 18mm..did they used to do them thinner?

gently lift the edge of the old board and insert some dpc shims to pack it up to the required thickness of your new boards.

black plastic roll of dpc/dpm material.
or anything plastic as long as its a uniform thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back