Laying hardboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have three rooms in which I want to lay hardboard to avoid any issues when laying vinyl in the bathroom and underlay and carpet in the other rooms.

My issue is how to being the job.. clearly my walls are well "out of true" so am I best to start with a known straight line and work from there? all help greatfully received

Sponsored Links
personally i wouldn't use hardboard in the bathroom, i would use ply wbp, because of all the condensation. remember that hardboard has to be treated with water before you lay it, otherwise if you don't and it gets wet after installation it will buckle. so far as fitiing is concerned i would find a straight edge and work from there laying the board lengths at 90 degrees to the floorboards, you say your walls are out of true, all you need to do is put the square edge of the board to the wall that is out of true making sure one corner touches the wall, the other corner may not be touching the wall, so what you need to do is get a compass with a pencil in it measure the gap between the wall and the corner of the board that isn't touching the wall set this measurement on your compass and then using the wall as a guide bring your compass back to the point of the board that is touching the wall making sure you are transfering a pencil line cut down this line with a jigsaw and hey presto it should fit, you wil probably have to do this with every board if your walls are that far out. then nail the boards at around 150mm points vertically and horizontally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back