Laying joists

M

marsaday

I have plained joists for my new floor. they are 195 x 47 and only need to be 170's.

Anyway i have laid 2 joists now which are level at both ends with the previous joist, but starts to rise from there inwards. At the centre the joist is 8mm above the previous joist.

Is this normal or do i need to do something which i dont know about ?

Is there any way of taking out the difference. The only thing i have thought about is to plain them in situ.

Sponsored Links
Chances are your old ceiling joists arent level and have deflected.. so yes normal.. get a spirit level and check the existing ones..

yes the ceiling joists are deflected, but they are independant of my new floor. it is the new wood which has bowed (2 now).

It is level at both end where it meets the steel and wall plate, but in the middle rises 8mm above the other 2 new joists.

I have put this one in and will plane it down. I hope the rest are ok because it is a pain.

You'd be very lucky to buy joists which don't have some degree of bow in them tbh. Always place them with the bow upwards in any case. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Carpentry is not engineering, and so bowed timber and non-perfectly flat floors and ceilings are normal

When the floor deck is down it will be hardly noticeable

Old joists seem to take up a bow with static load. I doubt they are still straight. Perhaps the new joists will develop a matching bow in time. Maybe you could try 22mm floorboards screwed to the joists to help line them up. Perhaps jack up the old joists before fitting noggins/bracing.

the joist is bowed upwards and in the centre is 8mm higher, so i will plane it down a bit.

thanks for replies, good to know timber should be like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back