Laying Karndean flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty good at DIY and being a single Mum can't afford to always get a tradesman in. I can get Karndean on-line much cheaper than from local supppliers and could get a good carpenter to lay plywood on my chipboard flooring - but why do I need it? My chipboard is good, level, and I can fill screwheads. Can someone please explain why I need this extra expense. Many thanks.
J

Sponsored Links
The chipboard needs a 6mm wbp ply so that the Karndean adhesive won't react and come unstuck.

I would have accepted that reply, but ............ I have a cheaper vinyl tile laid directly onto chipboard in an upstairs bathroom. This hasn't lifted or moved and it still looks perfect? So therefore another question, if it is the Karndean adhesive that reacts with chipboard can I use a normal vinyl tile adhesive with a Karndean type tile/plank?

cheaper tiles = cheaper adhesive.
If you want your more expensive Karndean to be installed properly - like it should be to comply with the guarantee and per instructions of the manufacturer - there are no short-cuts, so follow floooringman's advice or buy a cheaper vinyl

Sponsored Links
That avoided answering my question - which I think was "does a normal tile adhesive react with chipboard and can normal tile adhesive be used with Karndean tiles?"

I don't have a problem putting down ply and I do want a Karndean-type tile - oh and my cheaper vinyl tile doesn't mean it was a cheap one - just a bit cheaper than Karndean.

The point is, it has been down for 5 years now and hasn't lifted from the chipboard and so if "cheaper" vinyl tiles and "cheaper" adhesive does a superb job - can a more expensive Karndean type tile and more expensive Karndean type adhesive give a good finish if laid directly on to chipboard?

You could always try laying the Karndean directly on to the chipboard with another adhesive and see what happens. Then when it fails you will know the reason why Karndean advise plying beforehand.

Each manufacturer will have tested certain products and practices for their flooring and in that way they will warrant the performance of the flooring. If you start doing it another way it may well work or it may not - that is the chance you take. If you are prepared to take the risk then by all means go ahead but don't expect Karndean to guarantee the job.

Hope this helps.

I've had Karndean floor layed proffesionaly over vinyl tiles - which was screeded the previous day - about 7 years ago, and they've been fine. I am now going to lay them in another room...myself! I'm going to lay them over vinyl tiles, and I've been told that I don't need to screed the floor beforehand, because the vinyl tiled floor is level and solid, so I just need to prime it, but I cant remember the name of primer the guy told me to use and I've lost his number. I've asked around, but no one seems to know what I'm talking about - the guy was a proffesional floor layer! any sugestions?

The best advice I got was directly from Kardean themselves - ask them about a suitable primer, which has made me decide that I can do it myself - let me know how you get on
Janette

I should add the advice directly from Karnden's technical department is:
if you were to lay directly onto chipboard - it may move even if you are not aware of this slight movement and hence separation of the tiles/woodplanks may occur, also, discolouration of the tile/woodplank may occur over time as a reaction of the adhesive and woodchip under the tile. That to me is not an issue for the area I am going to cover or the woodplank I intend using - so I'm going to have a go myself.

Hope this is helpful to other DIYers

Janette

Hi

I am in the same situation as yourself.I am moving into a new home and there is chipboard floor down.This is level and looks good to put kardnean onto.How did you get on with yours did you put the karndean staight onto the chipboard.

Regards

Chris

I ended up laying a much cheaper plank tile - very successfully. It looks great and is flexible so even when the floor moves slightly it does too. The only place where there has been a slight (and only slight) movement in the tile is towards the edge of a room near the doorway, I could lift and relay but because they are wood effect planks, it actually looks more like authentic wood flooring. I'm happy and if you'd like photos I could arrange to take some and upload them here
Janette

Hi

Thanks for the reply can i ask what tile plank you did lay on the chipboard.I cant see what difference it would make if any what plank you use.It would be in the upper floor of a house and would not get to much traffic.Has it remained stuck down.

would be good to see pics if possible post them here or email them to [email protected].

Many thanks

chris

I used a cheap woodplank from Focus (it was about £7 for a pack of 6) and it only came a little unstuck at edges where the sun was beating down on them. That was easy to resolve - I used an ink cartridge refill syringe and squirted pva (1 to 1 with water) underneath and put a brick on them to keep in place whilst it dried. All OK now - just had to make sure the floor was perfectly clean and I put a pva seal over the chipboard (1 pva to 5 pts water) before I started. You would need to make sure that there are no gaps. Anyway for my hall kitchen, family room and utility it cost me under £300. Even if it only lasts 2 or 3 years I'll be happy and I felt I had nothing to lose. I have vinyl tiles straight onto chipboard in my upstairs bathroom which has been down for over 5 years with no movement and still looks great.

If you don't live too far from Sandhurst you can pop in an see
I've uploaded the images just findin out how to show them!!!

Brilliant !!

A syringe, ink cartridge, pva and a brick lol !!

i've been reading all these and replied to one of gilly's posts with her underfloor heating.

Anyway, a straight answer for you two..... i've been laying karndean for years (the approved way of course!!) but from time to time get asked to lay it direct to chipboard for cost reasons and it works.. I never find out how long for though as the gurantee is void.. 2 or 3 years would be good value if your lucky as opposed to a 15 year guarantee from karndean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back