Laying laminate on top of (?)tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just preparing to put down laminate on a downstairs hallway. Pulled up the carpet and the Duralay, and found this:

IMG_4635.jpg

I'm guessing they're ceramic tiles, but they're very thin - about 3mm thick and 9in x 9in in size. It looks like they're stuck down onto the subfloor, which I guess is concrete. (All the walls are concrete construction, so I would not be surprised if the whole frame is.) Only that one is cracked.

Should I pull these up before I put down an underlay for the laminate, or is it OK to put underlay on top? And what underlay would be best in that case?

Attachments

• IMG_4635.jpg
    IMG_4635.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
They look like fake tiles glued on.
If they're solid, leave them there

They are old vinyl tiles. Looks like magnesite sub floor under them so leave it all down or you meant be spending a lot of money to sort it out.

Thanks very much, both - I'm glad I asked. I guess that means I will need to put a damp proof membrane underlay down on top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back