Laying LVT over tile backer boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We're currently in the process of refurbing a bathroom and I'm trying to work out how best to do the floor. Current status is that the old chipboard was ripped up, lots of noggins added for the area under the shower tray, 18mm marine ply was laid back down and the shower tray laid on top of that. So far I'm very happy with it, the floor feels solid and there's no movement at all in the shower tray so all good there.

For the floor we're looking at some kind of LVT flooring and currently considering the Karndean rigid core range e.g. the Korlok. The remaining floor level needs raising up about 10-15mm to bring it level with the carpet in the adjoining room, and I'm wondering how best to do this. Probably the easiest way would be to just get some more 9mm or 12mm ply and lay this on top of the ply I've already put in, but the house is quite noisy with no sounds insulation in the ceiling cavities so one thing I was considering was using something like 10mm Wedi boards on top of the existing ply, and laying the LVT on top of that, as hoping it's deaden the sound of footsteps in the bathroom a bit.

I've seem some videos on Youtube showing similar, but they generally show the backer boards being glued down which I'd rather avoid. So the question really is, do people thing this would be ok with the backer boards screwed to the underlying ply using some short (~25mm) screws and the Wedi washers and then the LVT over the top, or would the adhesive be considered essential?

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back