Laying mortar on damp soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a small playhouse/fort at the end of our garden and want to lay down some 600mm square slabs to make up a path. My plan is to lay the slabs onto stable hard soil using a bed of mortar. The soil is damp from the weather but not puddled or soggy and not being a big fan of laying dry mix down and letting moisture work by capillary action from the soil I was going to make up a well mixed medium dry mortar and use that.. As said the ground is not soft, soggy or puddled just damp, will it set well. Thanks in advance. James

Sponsored Links
Cement products, i.e. mortar, concrete, render, adhesive etc all love water. So much so that they can not function without it.

We often damp down masonry so that the mortar has a better chance.

Soil or ground, to some degree is always damp. Don't worry about dampness. Even a bit of rain and moderate amounts of standing water have little or no detrimental effect.

It is only when there are large degrees of torrential rain or running water actually washing the muck away that you need worry aboot.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back