Laying OSB floor over tiles - do I need to glue the OSB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large tiled floor and the plan is to use OSB panels over the top and then sand and stain the OSB chipboard as a final floor. Do I need to glue the OSB to the tiles or can I leave it floating? Do I need a membrane or anything?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just saying but OSB is not chipboard.

Why have you chosen this arrangement for your floor?

There's a list of variables that you might consider if you researched on here and in the Building forum.

Thanks for the reply but struggling to find the meaning in it! "A list of variables you might consider" doesnt seem to have any meaning. Im doing it because Osb gives a nice effect when sanded and varnished with polyurethane. Its a 50 sqm floor so cant afford a real wood floor and having looked around online this is a very cheap option that if done well looks great and lasts a long time. THe tiles on the floor at the moment are not nice.

So do I need to glue the OSB to the tiles?

Personally I would be sticking the floor down - if only to accommodate the odd bulge and hollow that must be there. If its dead flat, then at least secure the edges.
Are you absolutely certain you want your floor formed from OSB? Just thinking of its wear and scuff resistance and so on.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Personally I would be sticking the floor down - if only to accommodate the odd bulge and hollow that must be there. If its dead flat, then at least secure the edges.
Are you absolutely certain you want your floor formed from OSB? Just thinking of its wear and scuff resistance and so on.
Hi John, I will be using several coats of high traffic polyurethane floor sealer. From the research I have done this surface on OSB makes it last a very long time and is very durable. It makes a really nice floor as well and costs about £5 a square metre which is affordable in a 50sqm room. If you have a better idea I am all ears! Floor is very flat as it is tiled to a good standard, just with ugly cheap tiles!

Here is the finish I am aiming for:
08056c22dfdd79a46e06aedcdbc0d4ab.jpg

Well, I have to say that's a lot more attractive than I would have ever thought, and I've never seen it before!
I'd probably use a spirit based no nails type of adhesive, maybe in the tile grout lines, and press it down well. That's tongue and groove stuff, I guess?

Nice eh? Whats the theory behind using glue? OSB is very heavy and all interlocked, so wondering how it would move around? Also would i need to leave an expansion gap like you do with real wood floors? Ta.

Yep, that's good reasoning......if the floor is nice and flat, just let it float - and leave room for expansion.
My gluing comment was due to a floating floor in a neighbours house....there was quite a hollow in the middle and a noticeable thud when it was walked on. We glued the centre area and left the rest - which has improved it greatly.

Anyone else got any ideas / opinions on the need of glue/expansion gap other tips? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back