Laying pipes in concrete floor for bathroom - basement flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to install an en-suite bathroom in the main bedroom at the front of the house. It's a Victorian house and records show that a concrete floor was laid in the 1960s, along with a damp proof membrane.

The bathroom will essentially be in the middle of the flat (internal room), and about 5 to 6 metres away from the main waste drain. As it is a basement flat, it seems a real challenge (not to mention expense and hassle) to dig up the floor.

I have been doing some research on this Forum and have some concerns about digging up the floor:
- how far down will we have to dig?
- will it damage the damp proof membrane, or can this be easily replaced for the the section we dig up? (for a basement flat, there does not seem to be any damp/coldness and so don't want to tamper with it if avoidable)
- could it affect the house's foundations (4 storey Victorian conversion)
- any chance of hitting anything else down in the concrete, like pipes etc?

Also, we think we know roughly where the underground waste pipe runs as there is a manhole at the front and back of the house in a straight line. Do you think it would be better to try and break into the section of this pipe that runs in the bedroom and connect the waste there to save digging up the whole floor?

The only other option is to just install a Saniflo system but I was keen to avoid this if possible given all the negative reports.

If anyone can help - please post a reply.

Not planning to do this myself, but have a builder who will do the job, but just want to get pther people's thoughts and experiences.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Any advice much appreciated!

Many thanks

granta

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back