Laying porcelain external tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

does anyone have experience of laying exterior porcelain tiles? My wife would like these for a patio in the garden, what’s the difference in how you lay them compared to “normal” slabs? Are their any reasons not to go for them? I think they are supposed to have a more contemporary / modern look?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

does anyone have experience of laying exterior porcelain tiles? My wife would like these for a patio in the garden, what’s the difference in how you lay them compared to “normal” slabs? Are their any reasons not to go for them? I think they are supposed to have a more contemporary / modern look?

thanks

Any advice on this one??

Ta

Firstly, you can’t use mortar to bed them UNLESS you first prime the porcelain tiles. The moral won’t adhere very well, if it all

Because of this I actually used exterior grade Mapei tile adhesive to set my porcelain patio tiles.

I say tiles, mine are 20mm thick and meant for outside. I did contemplate using standard 10mm porcelain outside but thought they’d get damaged.

I first levelled, compacted and laid a thin layer of concrete (actually just sharp sand and cement) and then laid the tile adhesive and tiles

it turn out very easy in the end and is rock solid.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
I've laid 10mm porcelain outside (topps tiles) 4x4m area. Flex tile adhesive and decoupling membrane over concrete. It's been fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back