Laying self-binding gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm considering laying about 30 square meters of self binding gravel for a driveway, plus doing about 30 meters worth of garden paths that come off this.

I've read the PavingExpert site but the guidance from the actual suppliers of this stuff makes out you need serious equipment - they're recommending 8 tonne rollers, and rollers that dispense water as they go, and generally making it sound like a bit of a beast to lay...

I sort of assumed a good long hit with a 125kg vibrating roller would be enough?

Was planning on laying 150mm of hardcore and vibrating it well for the driveway, then 50mm of gravel, and for the paths probably 75mm of hardcore and 35mm of the gravel.

Would appreciate any input/advice.

Cheers,
Rich

Sponsored Links
You don't need heavy equipment. Self binding gravel such like Breedon Gravel or standard hoggin can easily be laid with a rake and a local hire roller. Be careful with gradients though, especially on large areas. Ideally water should run off in a spreading pattern. Dips and hollows will quickly cause channels to form and they will just get progressively worse as the water washes away the binding.

Thanks jeds.

Regarding the water, the driveway has a gradient running down towards a drain channel (not sure what they're called, the kind you have in front of a garage door). This then merges into a pathway going perpendicular to it.

It falls about 25cm over 5m, so that's about 1:20?

I guess I will just make sure to make it as flat and smooth as possible so there are no little rivers. I guess the good thing about this stuff is you can always top it up or mess with it later if needs be...

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok. Little rivers bad. They turn into big rivers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back