Laying Solid Oak Floor on suspended wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay a solid oak floor in my lounge, dining room and hall. Its about 70 square metres and i have bought 180x3000x18mm planks T&G on all sides. I want to lay the boards in the same direction as the current floorboards (which are only 110mm wide) due to the direction of light coming into the rooms. Had originally thought i could secret nail directly on top but reading a number of threads on this site i now have doubts - How should i lay the floor. Lounge is 7m by 6.5m, longest run will be over 9m through into dining room.

Sponsored Links
6.5 meter is rather wide to install solid 180mm wide boards IMHO. You need around 20mm expansion gap! (Based on rule of thumb 3mm per meter width of the room)

If you want to install in the same direction as the original floorboards you must overboard first with plywood.

6 - 8mm plywood if your existing floorboards are rather level.

No matter what method of installation you use: WOOD WORKS! Oak can expand (and will in the end, wood is stronger than adhesive, nails - don't even think about screwing down your floor, the boards will rip apart) with 3mm per meter, hence the rule of thumb and our advice never to install solid floorboards in rooms wider than 5 - 6 meter.
You're best bet, if not too late, is to choose for wood-engineered boards.

Sponsored Links
Thanks WoodYouLike, unfortunately too late as the boards arrived last week!!! I will definitely put down plywood. If it is going to expand and contract should i lay as a floating floor?? If a floating floor is required:
1. do i glue the boards together?
2. what glue do you recommend?
3. how much should i use.

your advice is much appreciated.

Floating might be a better option, that way the boards if they expand/shrink can go either way without being restricted by nails (and believe me we've seen it happen).
Do remember that the floor will 'search' for and find the weakest link and create a gap there (meaning the weakest point in the glued T&G's, so make sure you glue them properly)
Normal PAVC wood=glue will do and use enough, not too many and don't drip and drop. But see the link I place in here for proper instructions on how to glue T&G's.
Between the ply and wood floor install a foam sound-insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back