Laying stick down vinyl planks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the bathroom I am going to lay ply over the floorboards, then adhesive for vinyl planks. Are there any points to watch out for (never done this before). I have laid click-lock type flooring and it seems to me the only difference is the adhesive. I imagine the planks need to be carefully butted together, I imagine the adhesive is not instant and allows a bit of reposition time.
With the ply, is 6mm minimum and maybe if floorboards are very uneven 9mm would be better. What to do about seams with the ply sheet? Are ribbed nails better than screws?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
6mm or 9mm plywood. I’d ring nail it or screw and counter sink the screws.
Then feather finish screed.
Then cut it all in dry and glue it with the correct adhesive like Uzin KE66 or 2000s.

Hi Daz, is the feather finish screed necessary if the ply is sufficiently flat. I know manufacturers quote things like 2mm deviance across a meter.
Does the feather screed cover the whole surface or just the low parts?

It’s mainly for the joints in the plywood so they don’t show through at a later date

Sponsored Links
We have decided to use click-lock vinyl plank. The cost is fairly equal once you account for adhesive etc.

It’s mainly for the joints in the plywood so they don’t show through at a later date
Sorry just jumping on this thread as I have just finished feathering the joints in ply sheets in the kitchen. It was very flat so did not completely screed the whole floor. We are laying luxury vinyl tiles with Laybond Vinyl adhesive but I cannot work out if the ply needs priming before the adhesive goes on. Any advice?

Sand down the feather mate with a electric sander / mutli tool to get it super smooth.

Will do. Repeat of what we've done in the bathroom with vinyl sheet. Nothing showing showing through that so going to do same :)

I agree with Dazlight.

A belt sander is the quickest way to remove the step in levels between the boards.

I an not a floorer, I am a decorator but I have worked in loads of houses where I can see every join in the plywood under the vinyl strip flooring. Although it offends my sensibilities I bite my tongue. If the client doesn't notice it, me highlighting does nobody any favours.

I cannot work out if the ply needs priming before the adhesive goes on.

We have recently had flooring work done at home. Our previous floor was Amtico. The guys who laid it didn't bother using primer. To be fair, none of the flooring lifted over the 15 years. It does however come up very easily and without damaging the plywood surface. Their tardiness has worked in our favour...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back