Laying Tiles on Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be laying tiles in my bathroom soon and realise that i should put a screwed down layer of 6mm (minimum) ply over the floorboards before i start tiling.

However this will give me a large step up in to the bathroom from the adjoining room.

Seeing as it is not a huge area would it be acceptable to rip up the floorboards and replace them with two large sheets of ply of the same thickness?

This would give me a step only the depth of the tiles + cement.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I will shortly be having the exact same predicament for my bathroom and toilet! I had also considered that idea but perhaps thought that the ply would not be strong enough longterm so had discounted the idea. I also thought that once I had decent carpet and underlay down on the landing then the 'step' would be much less pronounced. As you though, I would welcome the opinion of others who have been there etc etc....

Barney78 said:
Seeing as it is not a huge area would it be acceptable to rip up the floorboards and replace them with two large sheets of ply of the same thickness?
It would be a better job this way, normal flooring thickness are approx' 17mm (5/8") so best to put down 18mm exterior plywood. If you want to use less thickness plywood such as 12mm for same floor level with the tiles thickness then put in extra joists & noggins to allow for it but 18mm is better.

so what you're saying is if I replace the floorboards with 18mm ply i don't need to strenghten the joists or add extra noggins?

This seems like the best solution as i'm not bothered by the 'step' of just the raised tiles as the carpetting in the adjoining room should stop that being a problem.

I'm afraid to ask but how much is 2 sheets of 8' x 4' 18mm ply going to set me back?

Sponsored Links
Barney78 said:
if I replace the floorboards with 18mm ply i don't need to strenghten the joists or add extra noggins?
No need to strenghten the joists but maybe best to put a noggins where the join are if any. (across between the joist in the middle area) or better still if you can use the join on the centre of the joists.
I'm afraid to ask but how much is 2 sheets of 8' x 4' 18mm ply going to set me back?
Approx' £23.00 each, 8'x4' WBP Exterior sheet from Wickes

I reckon i'll do that then, because of the shape of the room I can get away with only one join between the two sheets which would run along a joist down the middle of the room.

Cheers very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back