Laying turf on a sloping garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sloping garden that is sloping towards the house by about 6 inches.

My question is i dont mind the slope but its a bit like a golf course(bumpy),so how would i even it over?

Btw the slopes ok as i have fence panels either side that stagger so i cant raise it anymore than 3 inches and the purpose of even it is to lay turf.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to lay turf are you intending to strip the old turf or just kill it and rotovate? Either way this would be the time to level it.

I'm no gardiner, but I'd take up the old turf, then if its a smalish garden get busy with the rake to smoth it out a bit before relaying good quality lawn. If its is a large garden,then it may be worth finding out if you csan hire a michine to smooth out the bumps.

I think I heard/read somewhere that new lawns need to be watered everyday, especially in the summer to help bed it in, and also feed it to help it keep its colour.

A neighbour of mine had their fromt lawn returfed last summer and because they didn't look after it every day it went from lush green, to brown in weeks!

No turf laid just soil which is pretty bad due to last occupants and there habits ie.. glass pieces of metal etc.

Sponsored Links
Looking the picture, the soil looks pretty loose so I'd probably make a day of it by raking it really well and picking out any shards of glass and metal I can find along the way.

that looks fine for laying turf straight onto as long as its not too compacted. If it is very firm or the high spots are very high then hire a rotovater for the day and that will loosen it up beautifully making it easy to screed level.

Loosen up the surface a bit and then drag a long straight piece of timber (preferably a beefy bit like 150x50) across it to make it level. Look for drag marks and bits that have marks are ok and bits that don't are low spots. Either fill in the lows or scrape off the highs and repeat until the whole piece of timber is dragging.

Then firm it in by either walking heel to toe all over it or run a roller over it. Put some pre turf fertiliser down and then turf it.

Hey guys thanks for the replys.

The bumpy bits are a bit hard(have pockets of clay underneath) and i have rotovated it before the picture but im just starting out :)

Got quoted 60 pounds for 2 yards of topsoil to cover the garden and its 69 sqm so the turf would work out 200 pounds

Was thinking slice the bumps with spade,rake it to as even as i can get it,as suggested use a long piece of timber to try level it and then order the topsoil,level that out and lay turf over that?

If your adding top soil then only take off the really high bits. A light forking and rake in these areas will break it up. You can then use the screed technique to level your new top soil.

Will do and thanks for your reply :)

If your adding top soil then only take off the really high bits. A light forking and rake in these areas will break it up. You can then use the screed technique to level your new top soil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back