Laying turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to turf my front garden it's about 6m x 5m I've taken all the bushes/ small conifers down to their roots and taken a couple of them completely out but some of the root systems still remain. I've removed the top 3inches of grass aswell. When I remove the other stumps what's the best product to put down to kill off any remaining root structures before I carry on
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A rotovater and a rake i'm afraid. Spraying anything onto woody roots will do nothing.

No, weedkiller will kill the roots and then they will rot naturally over a few years like any piece of dead wood under the ground.

Sponsored Links
SBK. but it will need a some growth or at least some cut ends to penetrate woody roots at all. If there is no top growth at all i think spraying might be a waste of time and money.

I plan to take the most of the root ball out but wanted to kill off any remaining arterial roots and weeds

If these were "proper plants" rather than "weeds" then having chopped them off they are unlikely to grow back from fragments of roots that are left behind. You will need to remove the stumps to make the ground even, but you don't need to worry about roots. Things that regrow from bits of root include brambles, nettles, bracken....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back