Laying Victorian reclaimed tiles outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to salvage some old Victorian tiles for the back door step. I took up the existing slabs that were laid on sharp sand. replaces with new sharp sand and laid the tiles. I then brushed it over with light kiln sand to finish it off. They looked very nice. However, since a couple of months have passed there are huge gaps where the sand has gone. There is no running water on the area as when it rains it doesn't pool on it. Should I have mixed a little mortar in with the kiln sand to set instead ?
350810266_624481109565713_4858433638678709400_n.jpg

IMG_20230724_210034.jpg

Sponsored Links
I managed to salvage some old Victorian tiles for the back door step. I took up the existing slabs that were laid on sharp sand. replaces with new sharp sand and laid the tiles. I then brushed it over with light kiln sand to finish it off. They looked very nice. However, since a couple of months have passed there are huge gaps where the sand has gone. There is no running water on the area as when it rains it doesn't pool on it. Should i have mixed a little mortar in with the kiln sand to set instead ?

Yes.

Sponsored Links
I would have used normal flooring tile grout. I have for my outside tiles. No issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back