Laying Quarry tiles in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after some advice and direction from those in the know, as to the best way of prepping a agilia screeded floor for laying 2" quarry tiles.

I actually spoke to agilia they recommend sanding the floor to remove waxy curing agent (which i have done), score the floor (sounds extreme) and paint 2 x coats of epoxy primer. Lay tiles with a flexible tile adhesive. Sounds perfectly reasonable. Can anyone recommend a suitable epoxy primer?

I was also advised by a, another that SBR bond painted to the screed would provide adequate adhesion and use a 3:1 sharp sand mix for tiles to bed on! Old school i guess!

I've read some threads that mortar isn't really used by professional tilers. Is this to do with it being outdated, labor intensive or generally a no no?

First instinct would be to go with manufacturers recommendation but i was wondering if anyone had a/ used either of the methods above, or b/ used an alternative practice with equally successful results?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sponsored Links
agila is an anhydrite screed to the best of my knowledge. the issue is caused by the fact that its a gypsum based screen rather than a cement based one and as the adhesive is cement based they can react if not primed properly.

You dont mention if you have a pumped underfloor heating system - if you do the following advice changes to do shout!

if you dont have a UFH:

1)
You must ensure that the screed has had adequate time to cure, which will depend on the thickness. The screed must contain <0.5% residual moisture before any tiling can take place.
Any surface laitance must then be removed (sounds like you have done this bit) and treat with 2 neat coats of acrylic primer
2)
Use a single part flexible adhesive such as granfix fastset flexible or granfix rapidset flexible (my preference as its a true s1 addy)
3) use a flexible grout.

OR you can use a gypsum based addy like this

http://www.tileadhesive.co.uk/csa.html

but this is quite new.

if you have UFH you need an s2 addy - let me know.

Thanks TPT. The floor has been down 10 months now and at a depth of 100mm with no UFH present. Your comment about the anhydrite screed has got me thinking.

It was put through a pump flow system. There was surplus material that was dumped in the front garden for me to dispose of and it contained varied aggregate. Looking on the Agilia website i do believe this could be a cement based Agilia 10 screed product?

Would the preparation differ on the primer aspect?

Sponsored Links
just had a search. if it is agila 10 then yes that looks to be a cement based one, which does bring into question the suggestion to use epoxy??

heres the datasheet on it. http://www.lafarge.co.uk/AandCReadymix/Agilia Screed 10 Datasheet.pdf

if you were a customer standing at my counter i'd call granfix's technical line to see what they said, might be your best bet. Bal have a similar facility.
http://www.tileadhesive.co.uk/index.html

i dont want this to seem like a fob off, but it will mean you have a fully backed up specification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back