Quarry tile laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it better to use sand and cement mix to lay quarry tiles or is there a adhesive available that is better. ?
Would I also grout with sand and cement ?

Sponsored Links
Is it better to use sand and cement mix to lay quarry tiles or is there a adhesive available that is better. ?
Would I also grout with sand and cement ?

nothing will ever beat sand/cement for fixing quarry ...IMO...
INSITU....

sharp sand(washed) 3-1 mix for floor screed floor...

lay a couple off old tiles ontop of it....pour your cement/water onto the old tiles,(so you dont imprint onto the screed).. spread with trowel,fix quarries,tap down with rubber mallet...

grout... using water/cement pour over tiles let it go in between tiles and set for small time.....use squeegy.....

then ........use SAWDUST to clean off......jobs the best ONE you will EVER DO....

aahhh.... yer takin me back here bud... ;) ...still doing that to this day,job will last a lifetime....

or you could use a bagged adhesive for them(sometimes old is best IMO..) ;)

Many thanks for your advice
Just a bit confused what you mean by pour the mix on top of old tile so that you don't imprint onto it ?
How wet should the mix be ?
Is the grout sharp sand also ?
I did read that you should put the tiles in a bucket of water prior to laying so as not to soak up the water to quickly ?
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
john - glazed quarry tile are impervious so it's a waste of time dunking them in water.

I'm not using a glazed tile they have a natral finish ? ( if I understand it correctly )

The tiles I'm using are from homebase 20cm x 20cm quarry
Is states on there website that I need floor tile adhesive but I did think that sand and cement was used for laying so that's my reason for asking ?
is soft sand unsuitable ?
Still wondering about poring mix over old tile etc...?
How wet the mix should be / soft or sharp for pointing. ??????
I will be laying these over a concrete floor all old covering removed..

john - 'glazed' doesn't mean it's got a surface finish a bit like a ceramic tile, it's a generic term for something that's been fired to a high temp in a kiln to produce something that's impervious - salt is sometimes chucked in during firing to produce 'salt glaze'. Those so called quarry tiles that aren't 'glazed' (and so are not impervious or as hard) are terra-cotta tiles.

As your quarry tiles are thick set them in sand/cement mix; some so called quarries can be quite thin (6 to 8mm) and should be fixed with adhesive ... anyway IMO they aren't quarries when they're that thin, just quarry effect.

Thanks for all the tips I have now ordered some sharp sand and some soft fo laying the tiles I intend to mix sharp and soft together as most sharp sand has alot grit in it and I thought this would make it a bit better to work. ?
I'm still a bit concerned about the grouting is this normally done with soft sand/cement and what size gaps should I keep between the tiles. ?
I'm a bit worried about poring it in and squeegee it of as it sounds a bit messy obviously due to my lack of experience ...
I have done a small area of quarry's before and I pointed using a small length of hose.
I could do with some more advice guy's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back