Layman help: no hot water

Is there an Aga or something in the property. Looks like an old version of a twin coil cylinder, each coil circuit appears to have its own vent.

One coil Aga, other coil oil boiler :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Looks like an old version of a twin coil cylinder, each coil circuit appears to have its own vent.

There is only one coil as two of the tapins have female bosses unless i need specsavers :cry:

Sponsored Links
Looking at the cylinder connections from the top down, I think I see five, which I am guessing are:

- 22mm Vent out of top (might feed something from above)
- with 22mm pipe (under blue flannel) going off to the left, perhaps hot water to bathroom
- 22mm Tapping for shower or something? Hot water feed, anyway
- Upper 22mm Coil connector, but with gate valve on it? Wonder why? Would prevent cylinder getting hot if shut. And with (presumably) F&E 15mm going up from Tee
- Lower 22mm Coil connector
- 22mm cold feed? But with 15mm teed upwards and 22mm down.

And there appear to be four pipes going up into the loft, one of them a braided flexible. I would have thought the one at the back is the cold feed from tank to bott of cylinder.

What do you think of my guesses, guys?

Well I had some success today.

I had central heating on and as before the pipe with have valve on it was hot up until the valve but not after so I managed to open it with a pair of pliers and the pipe below finally got hot. However still no hot water and the cylinder remained cold.

The pipe with the bit of flexi pipe on it connects to another pipe just out of shot which goes to the attic. It had a valve on it which when I opened. As soon as I opened it I heard water rushing into the cylinder - it must have been the feed from the tank up above and was closed for some reason.

After a while the cylinder started to heat up and I got hot water on all taps.

The only reason I can think of these being closed are that the owner before me was heating the house (to prevent damp) and didnt want to waste oil heating the water as well as there seems to be no way to do control them both independently.

Electric immersion still not working though but thats for another day.

How much work is involved in setting it up so that oil can heat water and radiators independently of each other?

so can anyone help me with my latest 2 queries?

1. What do I look for with my electrical immersion problem? Ive checked teh fuse and it appears ok but dont know what else to check.

2. How much work is involved in setting up the oil to heat hot water without radiators being heated?

Cheers for all help so far,

Could be the immersion stat gone or even the element blown. Stat is easy to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back