LCD Tvs

one other complaint I keep coming across is "shadowing"? I think its a shame that they don't have that little fading dot anymore when you turn the telly off. :(

Sponsored Links
Adam, You are either a fast typist or have a lot of time. :D basically what you entered is what I would have typed if I could use more than 1 finger. :p

I bought a 15" philips lcd last year and was really impressed with the contrast and resolution but it sometimes struggles to keep up with fast moving images but apart from that o.k.
it defeats the object of paying £50 for a bracket that sticks out of the wall 7" when the thickness of the t.v. is only 3".I made one myself with what i found in the shed.Another important consideration is that the scart lead plugs in at an angle coz that puts a few mofe inches on the distance that it can be placed against the wall.worth its weight in gold as the old 14" t.v. took up a lot of room on the kitchen worktop but have suspended the lcd above the kitchen table on the wall,the viewing angle is reaaly good :)

As I wanted my LCD for the kitchen & at an angle I modified a bracket (that was designed for a crt tv), but after a month I decided I didn't like it so I bought one. My scart leads all fit at 90 degrees so no problem on my tv. They must all vary.

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
As I wanted my LCD for the kitchen & at an angle I modified a bracket (that was designed for a crt tv), but after a month I decided I didn't like it so I bought one. My scart leads all fit at 90 degrees so no problem on my tv. They must all vary.
what i meant was some plug in directly on the side but some stick out the back and take up valuble space.

Diyisfun said:
Adam, You are either a fast typist or have a lot of time. :D basically what you entered is what I would have typed if I could use more than 1 finger. :p

You see I use 1 finger on each hand PLUS a wand attached to my forehead ;)

Has anyone got one of those flip-down LCD TVs that a lot of kitchen places seem to be throwing into the package now? If so, is it any good and do you flip it up and down enough to make it more useful than having one mounted to the wall?

picture quality is very subjective, with the viewing public some will see faults that others can't some will be so used to what they see that they know no better and eventually when they buy a new set even if that set is not particularly good quality they will probably be very happy and believe the picture to be of a high quality.
whereas in the industry picture quality is more controlled, people are trained to see faults in picture quality that others would never spot, control over equipment used is essential for this process, along with electronic aids.
all those involved with quality control seem to go with the CRT as the best technology available at this time for rendition of an image.
That's not to say it won't be superceded in the near future carbon for one. And other inferior technologies have a habit of catching up at a fast rate, best wait for HD to take off before deciding what route to take regards purchasing receivers.

I personally HAVE seen very pronounced screen burn on a plasma. The one in the lounge bar at the Marriott Hotel Grantham was generally on Sky News for about 18 hours a day or more. The only time it was changed was if I did a Night Manager shift in which case I'd put it on MTV or the Box etc, and the Sky News logo was still strongly visibly burned in. Of course, we're talking about extended commercial use but for the average home user I bet you only have to halve those viewing hours, therefore only doubling the time for the screen to be damaged. This particular plasma screen, at 18 months old (just out of warranty and on my department's budget, grrr), also developed a fault causing the right-hand side (about 20%) of the screen to intermittently black out. I certainly wouldn't pay my own money for one at home, not just yet anyway. I'll bide my time just like I did when widescreen came out, when the price is right and they've sorted the quality I'll get one, until then I'll laugh at the idiots who've wasted theirs!

Channel logos are a bone of contention between telly-lovers and the broadcasters. With multi-channel packages, they want their logos up there so we know we are watching Sky, Bravo, whatever. But, the viewers would rather NOT have them and just use the EPG to see what they are watching. Those logos are highly damaging to screens for the reasons Simon says, i.e. screenburn. And why do they make the "interactive" logo keep on reappearing even after I switch it off?! :mad: I like to watch TV passively. I don't want my TV to be interactive!

Why anyone would watch MTV all night long when they have free access to all the adult channels on a 42" screen... :p

It is not exclusive to plasmas only ninebob, CRT's are susceptible to it also.

I got an LCD TV a while back, mainly because I wanted something smaller than my old CRT TV to sit in the corner of the room. The LCD is neat and light weight.

There have been other comments on the screen performance - sometimes the screen credits can be a bit blurry but the main thing I noticed was the "poor" sound quality. The speakers are tiny and you don't get any bass response from them. If you want to get good sound from DVDs I would hook the player up to your sound system.

The screen has a better viewing angle than my laptop so it's been good for boring everyone to death showing them slide shows of my digital pics (it's got a separate display input).

All-in-all I'm quite happy with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back