LDC or full planning for shed replacements?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to work out if and how I should submit any application before I put my foot in it with a planner officer!

We have a house on two acres in the greenbelt on the edge of a town (in England) and surrounded by farmland on some boundaries. There are two ugly old wooden sheds totalling 50sqm that I can prove have been there at least 20 years that I'd like to replace with a single new shed to tidy up the place. Fairly reasonable hopefully!, but question is what I need to do to keep planning happy.

What's not entirely clear is whether the land they are on is curtilage or not. I'd argue it is since it's a one-acre area of grass that has been kept mowed short and not used for anything agricultural for over 10 years. However there is a right of way in form of a private access-only road that crosses our land and I wonder if a planning officer might argue that breaks up the curtilage. Anyone got any views on this?

If the land is defined as curtilage, I think I may be able build the new shed under PD rights in the location i'd like it to be since it's behind principle elevation of the house. Although I'm not sure about that either, since some guides mention a PD building can't be in front of the elevation of the house facing a highway. Is that still a thing? It's not described in the 2017 technical guide as far as I can see. If I rely on PD rights, I'd prefer to get an LDC for it because we're also in the process of extending the house so there is a bit going on at the site for planning to take an interest in.

Alternatively I guess I could apply for full planning to replace the two olds sheds with a new one. Any advice on anything to avoid in the application when requesting planning for this?

Diagram to explain (area in green is the extent of our property) :

shed-planning.png

Sponsored Links
You'll have to prove ten years use for an ldc, will the previous owners provide statements?

The planning app route might be more fruitful as you're replacing and improving something already there, but that won't sort the use out if the existing barns are not residential related.

A chat with a planning officer won't prejudice an LDC application because that is factual only not a planning judgement.

Blup

I wonder if your new shed might need to be 'agricultural'. Stables or tractor shed.......

I cant see a piece of land that is agricultural land on greenbelt being allowed to be officially recognised as curtilage, ie a garden. Not without a fight.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back