Lead finishing on dormer window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just identified damp areas on lounge ceiling and 1st floor bedroom floor all directly underneath our dormer window. A local roofer has been round and identified that:
1: The dormer window has NOT been protected by lead soakers on each side
2: The dormer window does not have a lead window tray underneath thus causing felt to be visible and exposed to the elements
3: Possibly (yet to be confirmed) the files on each check do NOT have any form of underlay/felt
4: Also the lead flashing on either lower side of cheeks has been done in one long strip of approx 1.5meters in length.

Insurance inspectors are due round soon for visit. The house is only 4 years old and this is causing great concern.

I have been advised by 3 x professional roofers to insist that:

1: lead soakers are placed on each appropriate end. addditionally for these to be installed correctly the tiles and valleys on each side above to be removed - lead soakers placed and then valleys and tiles replaced
2: Removal of dormer window and place lead window tray underneath to seal areas directly underneath and to either side of window.
3: Remove cheek tiles - install felt/underlay and replace tiles
4: Remove current lead flashing on each lower end of checks and replace with lead at intervals of 18ich secured underneath the tiles and then overlapped.

Sorry this is a lenghty note however I am at this point doing some reasearch and would value any advice.

I am also going to insist that they remove plasterboards etc in bedroom to gain access to the area where the water has been enrtering property to check for long term damage.

I would be grateful of any advice from anyone as I`m sure you can apprecitae this a great concern with such a new build property

thanks

Sponsored Links
hello gwyndaf.

what is it you wanna know :?:

I`m just wondering really if what I have described as actions to rectify seem good advice really . I am not a roofer so i am basically dealing with the unknown and just taking advice when available. Also to undertake the work detailed what type of duration do you think mit would take (1 or 2 days poss)

I have in relation to this matter been in touch with local trading standards whom have suggestsed that i get an independent survey done on the dormer window/roof. However this will cost approx £400 which is not refundable.

Do you think that this would be worth it at this stage or should i wait to establish what the insurance assessor says first?

thanks for responding

Hi. A photograph of the situation would be of help in order to give advise. Methods and terminology vary across the country. Soakers for EG. are normaly fitted on slate or plain tile roof (where 3 thicknesses are achieved due to laps)
With interlocking tiles (pantiles) cover flashing or secret gutter methods are normally employed. Cover flashing can be in a length of 1.5m if using code 4 sheet lead. The cover method can also be used on individual interlocking tiles.

As for the time factor this will depend on the Access, weather, numbers employed and skills of same.
I have made a video of fitting a front apron to a chimney (similar to a dormer only smaller) may help. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kPxBejgFQow you can also visit http://justlead.co.uk and the Lead Sheet Association have a site.
Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Justlead, what area do you cover? The 'About us' link on your site comes up error?

[Edit] Just noticed Cornwall.

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I have watched the you tube clip(very interesting to see how it should be done)

I have inserted some snaps that should hopefully make the issue more clear. Again I would be grateful of any advice that you could give following these snaps.
As you can see cheeks have no lead soakers. On the front of the window a roofing friend of mine has placed a small piece of lead to try and stop the water coming in. At this pint the felt was clearlly visible and lead was cut short not lapping around corners. Additionally I also have untreated wood underneath the vertical tiles.

Thanks again

Hi Gwyndaf, It may be me but can not find images?

Hi. Xenon we cover UK. Supply only that is. Good Luck

Hi Gwyndaf, It may be me but can not find images?

Hi. Xenon we cover UK. Supply only that is. Good Luck

Hi justlead1,
Not too sure if a message that i sent back late last night got through as my daughter pressed some keys on keyboard whilst i was typing.

Anyway i have saved 8 snaps of the actual dormer under my profile and albums. I would be grateful if you could have a look at these and pass any comments on what you see etc? I have been informed by a roofer friend that to install the lead soakers correctly at each the top of cheek the gulley must be raised and leadwork secured underneath. Is this correct? Would the soakers be effective if this is not done?

Thanks foy your help

Gwyn

Hi Had a look, i would also temporary take gutter of sides of dormer, this may give more indication of where the main problem is. Good Luck

Hi Had a look, i would also temporary take gutter of sides of dormer, this may give more indication of where the main problem is. Good Luck

thanks for the advice.will pursue with NHBC what do you think of the work that`s their? Poor finish considering it`s a new build?

thanks

Hi. Inspection by surveyor will almost certainly pick up faults. I do not know the procedure, perhaps NHBC will point you in the right direction. You defiantly have a claim situation. Good Luck

Hi. Inspection by surveyor will almost certainly pick up faults. I do not know the procedure, perhaps NHBC will point you in the right direction. You defiantly have a claim situation. Good Luck

thanks for the advice. I`ll let you know in due course the outcome. Inspection due mid Nov. Watch this space.

I am in the exact same situation. It has been 4 years since I have moved int my house and dormer window is leaking. I have reported to NHBC and they are saying some rubbish about that first £1500 I am liable for not hear no non-sense like that? any one else in this situation?

The NHBC warranty is just an insurance policy and a pretty cr*p one at that and as you well know, all (well most) insurance policies have excesses. When you purchased your new home you would have received the NHBC policy documentation, somewhere in that lot will list the T&C to which you policy adheres to, it will tell you exactly what the excess is in there if you doubt what they are telling you over the phone. They set it high to stop people claiming, like I said its a typical insurance policy. Its there to keep the mortgage company happy really :rolleyes: and they're really only useful for major issues like subsidence etc. It may be worth checking with your developers warranty although this would likely only cover things for a year or so so probably no use there either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back