Lead flashing a "lean to"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be flashing my lean to garage in the next couple of weeks.
Is there 2 layers of lead flashing required?...

My plan is to have an upstand of >100mm and slot it into the existing wall by ~ an inch and have as much felt as possible under the upstand.
Then overlap the slates by another 100mm, therefore about 9 inches of lead should be required across the length of the garage.
Do i need to use special silicone sealer for any of this?
Any other advice welcome?
Cheers,
Martin.

Sponsored Links
Cheers...will keep an eye out for some leadmate then.
Anyone know if i need 2 "courses" of lead?

the lead should be fixed in sheets no longer than 1.5m with an overlap of about 150-200mm.

Sponsored Links
cheers noseall,
sorry for bringing up the post again...been away on holidays and my chippy has been busy and almost finished the cut roof. :D
Ill be felting and slating leading it myself and he mentioned something about using 2 layers of lead..a bell something or other??..any links as to what i need to do?
Cheers,
Marty.

Cheers Masona,
the stuff on the link is what i seem to find everywhere i search...lengths of no greater than 1.5M,100mm min overlap and 75 mm min upstand and 25mm chase into the wall using clips etc.
But what im referring to is like two seperate flashings...one completely over the other...my neighbours conservatory has this but obviously i cant peel it back to have a peek!!
Anyone know what im talking about??!!
Cheers,
Marty.

Also one other question...should my felt go under the upstand as much as possible or just terminate where it abutts the wall?

martyc said:
But what im referring to is like two seperate flashings...one completely over the other...my neighbours conservatory has this but obviously i cant peel it back to have a peek!!
Anyone know what im talking about??!!
Can you take a photo?

Will try get a photo of my neighbours..hope he doesnt catch me...will think im a loon!!
Maybe its just a different way to how you do it in the UK.
Marty.

Got a photo of what im trying to say

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=30691402fe98.jpg

This photo is taken @ an angle so pitch looks non existent...also its on a pitched section whereas im on about the top of a lean to...however i see this same method along the top of lean-to's around here...jus cant get a photo of one too easily.
BTW i do realise they are soakers under the slates...but on a ridge section i see the same thing with longer sheets of lead.

So anyone know what this comprises off?

martyc said:
BTW i do realise they are soakers under the slates...but on a ridge section i see the same thing with longer sheets of lead.

So anyone know what this comprises off?
It's to keep the rain off the sockers section

Hi Masona,
But on the ridge would you also do the same?...on the ridge of that roof(couldnt get a photo of ridge unless i climbed the wall!) there are clearly 2 strips of lead aswell

Your lead at the top edge can be done in two ways.

Either one piece tucked into chase and dressed onto slates or two pieces lapped by at least 75mm vertically.

Both ways are acceptable and down to personal choice and abilities (option 1 requires more precise measuring and forming)

Gotcha...thanks a mill...finally i understand!!
Cheers,
Martin.

One other question while im here!
For the upstand should i knock off 75mm of plaster so that the lead is essentially recessed along the full height of the upstand?...or do i just chase a slot and have it proud of the current wall?
Also should the felt go up under the upstand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back