Lead flashing just completed and still leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Please help :ROFLMAO:Bought this flat in September 23 and I'm so fed up with the leaky roof lol.

We've just had lead flashings installed (previously flashings were just cement) and we had a leak around the chimney 1 month ago.

The night after it was complete, it was raining, I heard some water drops into the attic, so the roofers came back to check and did something (no idea) and said it's all good now.

With all the rain we've been having, the leak is back and as bad as before. Decided to get 2 other roofers to inspect, and they said the lead flashing work has been installed cheaply and very poorly (though, they could be saying that to get me to agree to their work so I don't know!). Either way, it's still leaking.
Other roofs aren't willing to just rectify the current work as they can't give us a guarantee, instead would need to get them re-do it all properly, which obviously will cost a lot....

The original roofer has agreed to come round and have a look- do we get him to rectify it best he can (knowing he may do another bodge job), or just pay out for it to be re-done? It's in my bedroom and affecting my sleep, so just fed up now. If we can get it rectified, any idea what he needs to do?

Thanks a lot for any advice!! Pictures below

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 6.16.16 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 6.20.20 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 6.20.20 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 6.20.20 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 6.20.20 PM (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 6.16.15 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 6.16.15 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 10.41.21 AM.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Awful work. What would the actual difference be between rectifying the current work and getting it all re-done properly? I don't see how you could rectify without a full re-work.

Awful work. What would the actual difference be between rectifying the current work and getting it all re-done properly? I don't see how you could rectify without a full re-work.
I guess we would try to get him to rectify it for free, we did get a 10 year guarantee. He is coming tomorrow so could ask him to outline what he can do to rectify, though I imagine he'd need to rip at least the chimney lead out and start again which he probs won't do...

Quoted about 1500-2000 each side (eek) to completely re-do by other roofer (plus scaffold).

its a lash up.. he was willing to try and scam you before...you really think he wont try again?

Sponsored Links
its a lash up.. he was willing to try and scam you before...you really think he wont try again?
Well he's not getting any more money from me that's for sure. But he should make it at least watertight whilst I look into longer-term options. He has agreed to come and look at it, so who knows....

That's what happened since plumbers were robbed of leadwork by roofers. Any decent (old school) building firm would send their plumber to do it . Anyone can call themselves a plumber and also a roofer . Plumbers who get Gas Safe are laughing. The water is probably getting in down the end of the prapet wall next to the chimney. Also - if it's a flat why isn't the freeholder paying for it ?

Hello! Please help :ROFLMAO:Bought this flat in September 23 and I'm so fed up with the leaky roof lol.

We've just had lead flashings installed (previously flashings were just cement) and we had a leak around the chimney 1 month ago.

The night after it was complete, it was raining, I heard some water drops into the attic, so the roofers came back to check and did something (no idea) and said it's all good now.

With all the rain we've been having, the leak is back and as bad as before. Decided to get 2 other roofers to inspect, and they said the lead flashing work has been installed cheaply and very poorly (though, they could be saying that to get me to agree to their work so I don't know!). Either way, it's still leaking.
Other roofs aren't willing to just rectify the current work as they can't give us a guarantee, instead would need to get them re-do it all properly, which obviously will cost a lot....

The original roofer has agreed to come round and have a look- do we get him to rectify it best he can (knowing he may do another bodge job), or just pay out for it to be re-done? It's in my bedroom and affecting my sleep, so just fed up now. If we can get it rectified, any idea what he needs to do?

Thanks a lot for any advice!! Pictures below

View attachment 339216

View attachment 339208View attachment 339209View attachment 339210View attachment 339211View attachment 339212View attachment 339213View attachment 339215
Code 3 lead. (n)

Fixmyroof on youtube, gives you a basic understanding of lead work on chimneys so you can better understand what is being offered when you remedy whats there now.

Fixmyroof on youtube, gives you a basic understanding of lead work on chimneys so you can better understand what is being offered when you remedy whats there now.
Thank you! Just spent a good hour watching this working out exactly what to do

That's what happened since plumbers were robbed of leadwork by roofers. Any decent (old school) building firm would send their plumber to do it . Anyone can call themselves a plumber and also a roofer . Plumbers who get Gas Safe are laughing. The water is probably getting in down the end of the prapet wall next to the chimney. Also - if it's a flat why isn't the freeholder paying for it ?
So in our lease the top floor (us) are responsible for any roof work and the ground floor are responsible for foundations. The costs are supposed to be split between us but this was a nightmare as you can imagine trying to get money from downstairs, and caused a dispute. They did in the end agree to pay for half of the flashings (in 8 months time). There’s no way we can ask them to pay half for this remedy work now as we’d just end up in a legal battle- they’re adamant they won’t pay anything else for any more work…

See if he turns up
So he did turn up on time yesterday. Looked in loft and acknowledged the leak, but said he has no idea what causes that. He said could be the breathable membrane lol. He’s gonna look at the roof tomorrow so let’s see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back