Lead lined gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could someone help to answer one or two questions for me about rainwater gathering in the gutter.
Basically the gutter is on a victorian terraced house and is a sandstone block type of gutter,the gutter has been relined with lead and it has had a lap joint done on it between mine and my neighbours.
This is were I think its a problem? because rain water is getting held back on mine because of the lap joint the person who done the gutter explained that it was acceptable for some water to be there,I don't think its acceptable as the water is at a level were its touching the edges of the tiles from the joint to halfway along the gutter.

Here are some pics to show the problem?
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/a.jpg
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/b.jpg
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/c.jpg

I think that this not acceptable at all,I can accept a couple of mm of water settling in the gutter but not the amount it soaks the tiles on a permanent basis every time it rains.

Do I have cause to complain about this?

Many thanks for any input recieved.

Sponsored Links
you shouldnt have that much standing water in your gutters in my opion, seems like you need to put in another down spout,or clean out the old one

you shouldnt have that much standing water in your gutters in my opion, seems like you need to put in another down spout,or clean out the old one

Hi drewroof
Nothing to do with downspout,if you have a look at pic b it shows quiet clearly
where the problem lies ie at the joint.

Cant put a downspout at this point because of our doorways below are adjacnt to each other.

The excess water is not getting past the joint because its causing a small ridge.

Cheers.

Hi. There are a few issues shown on the images. This type of gutter has little or no fall. When lining this gutter with lead sheet, an allowance must be made for the expansion of the lead, if this is not done you will find it will fail in a few years time owing to metal fatigue. (creases turning to cracks). If using code 5 sheet lead the max length of any one piece should not exceed 2 m. I.5m if code 4 is used. It look as if the sheet lead has been rolled out its full length with out any thought about expansion?I also note the lack of lead clips, used to hold the front edge in position, to prevent wind lift. To over come the expansion problem and the jointing to the property next door a product is readily available (T Pren) which is neoprene bonded to two pieces of lead sheet. These are cut to the width of the gutter and welded into position, starting at the adjoining property and every 2 m thereafter. Good Luck[/list]

Sponsored Links
Hi Drewroof
No problem. :)

Hi Justlead
Thanks for your time having a look.

I'm afraid I am a layman when it comes to roofing and gutters and some termms you have pointed out I dont understand ie "fall" and "expansion"

What do you mean by fall? and how do you look at the pic and say he has not allowed for expansion?

I thank you.

Hi. It is normal, when designing a gutter to include a fall. One end higher than the outlet end. However it is not unusual for this period to have almost flat gutters.( The look and cost being the criteria rather than practical solutions that worked well) Lead sheet has been used for centuries, during which observations have been made as to fit for purpose, longevity etc. As a result we have more information to design and fit this material so as to last the term of the building. It is clear from the images that the sheet lead has been fitted in one piece. As with say a news paper if you were to open and close on the fold it would eventually split at the point of fold. Sheet lead has the same characteristics, due to heat and cold (expansion and contraction) However data collected over the years has determined maximum length / widths that can be fitted. once you exceed the max allowable, one simply includes an expansion joint. Another length and expansion joint and so on. The type for this job would be "Tpren" and is welded in position the element of rubber within the join allows for movement and is water proof. Good Luck

this is what juslead is trying to explain about expansion joints. this is a job i done last year the flowband joints are lead welded every 2m.. .
your gutter has been done wrong.
the lead has been rolled out in one length and will split in time
sooner if it's less than code 5 which i bet will be the case..

Thanks for posting image it explains perfectly that which i was trying to say. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back