17 May 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Problem is a lead mains pipe which is approximately 2" and which is leaking. Idea is to cut back the lead 2" pipe to a sound part and then fix a compression joint to reduce the mains lead 2" pipe to a standard copper pipe for the water supply.

This is not for a domestic property but for a clubhouse and I am asking on behalf of the 'handyman'.

I tried BES and looked at various others but can find nothing suitable for the compression joint.

The problem may be is that neither I nor the 'handyman' is aware of how the lead 'poundage' converts into size. BES appear to do ones which reduce from lead but the largest size is quoted as 3/4" [too small an OD] by 9lb lead.

Anyone got any ideas as to what the poundage denotes on these fittings and where I can find a fitting to do the job??

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Hi, can't help with 'poundages' but 7lb leadlok fits 15mm equivalents......9lb usually is for 3/4 or 22mm.

2 inches covers neither so, try a philmac universal coupler. Not sure if they go as high as 50mm/2inches. Am i right in assuming this is 2ich diameter not bore? otherwise it would need to be bigger (obviously!!). Others on here may have better views on coupling. Not sure on water regs for non domestic but pretty sure the ideal would be to rip out the lead and rerun in mdpe (30mm?)

Thanks for that.

I have looked at PHILMAC's site and have e-mailed them with the problem.

Looks like they will have a fitting which will do the job as long as the compression fitting does not cause the lead pipe to collapse on tightening.

Many Thanks again,

The joint is called a leadlock as you say it uses push fit grab retainer method backed up by compression lock nut.
Sponsored Links
if you use the PHILMAC coupling you could use a copper end feed fitting to match the bore of lead to act as an insert then no problems with lead pipe collapsing

ideally lead should be swapped for mdpe of similar bore
Lead pipe is defined by imperial internal diameters. Yours is presumably 1 1/2" .

There will be a suitable connector available but tbhese are semi industrial and not usually available from stock in the average plumbers merchant. But they can be ordered.

The connectors are not compression in the usual sense, they compress a rubber ring to form the seal. They dont usually need an insert. However they do need the pipe to be round and if its become very distorted it can be quite difficult to form a seal.

A common supplier of these types of larger fittings is called Talbot. They were bought by Thames Water but I think they have now been disassociated.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Have sourced the item after downloading the technical details and showing them to my mate.

A large local Plumbing shed does them according to their catalogue but unsure if they actually have them in stock. He is trying today.

Hopefully, once cut back, the pipe will not be out of shape.

Agile - Thanks - have seen how they work from the technical sheet. Hopefully they will do the job.

Will let you know how we get on.
If the surface is very rough they will not seal either.

I use fine emery cloth to smooth them. Some people may scrape them.

You sometimes have to scrape them to reduce the size a fraction to get the nut over.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links