Lead Paint Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We want to sand and varnish our stairs but are worried about lead paint (1900 terraced house in London).

We have done around 8 of the swab tests and one has come back positive.

What is the easiest and safest DIY option? All roads seem to be pointing to Peelaway 1.

Wife is pregnant so don’t want to be taking any chances.

Thanks

Nathan

Attachments

• 6B193C92-F797-4CDC-8566-76AB8A8FDC10.jpeg
    6B193C92-F797-4CDC-8566-76AB8A8FDC10.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
3 options are

Cover wood.
Replace wood.
Chemical strip wood.

Peelaway is best bet. Get some and try it

I don’t know if my paint was lead based but I did my stairs (mid 50’s)
I used paint stripper as well.
just allow it to work. Far too many people whack it on and expect instant reaction.

Peel Away is a great product but I think you are over estimating how well it will work on the stairs. With respect, I think you are massively under estimating the work required to get them up to a decent standard. The risers are a bit of mess.

If I had to quote for that, I would be looking at in excess of 6 days of labour, seriously. And that is me having access to thousands of pounds worth of sanders.

On the upside, it looks like they haven't been painted very many times.

Options, other than @Wayners recommendations, would be tidy up the sides and fit a new runner carpet. The runner will also be more quiet when walking up and down, and when your little person first starts using the stairs, it they slip, the runner be be much less painful.

Sponsored Links
I'd not want to strip that as a job but home owners seem to have the time.
Think I'd replace it all with hardwood given the options. Might not be what you want though

Peel Away is a great product but I think you are over estimating how well it will work on the stairs. With respect, I think you are massively under estimating the work required to get them up to a decent standard. The risers are a bit of mess.

If I had to quote for that, I would be looking at in excess of 6 days of labour, seriously. And that is me having access to thousands of pounds worth of sanders.

On the upside, it looks like they haven't been painted very many times.

Options, other than @Wayners recommendations, would be tidy up the sides and fit a new runner carpet. The runner will also be more quiet when walking up and down, and when your little person first starts using the stairs, it they slip, the runner be be much less painful.
Thank you.

It is an option we are starting to consider based on the condition, the lead paint etc.

Can the sides be tidied up without sanding?

Maybe look at covering
Something like...
Oak string covers designed to cover over existing stair strings and can be easily over-laid.

Thank you.

It is an option we are starting to consider based on the condition, the lead paint etc.

Can the sides be tidied up without sanding?

Nah, sorry, the sides of the treads and risers would need sanding and filling before repainting.

I think you might be worrying more than you need to, but I completely understand your concerns.

BTW, the H&SE say that heat guns on lead paint are safe so long as the temperature doesn't exceed 550 degrees C, but I guess that you don't have a heatgun with adjustable output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back