Lead paint - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I moved into a very old property and some of the rooms were freshly painted. However, the doors, radiators and outside window sills (and garden gate) were not and they look very old with flaking paint. I can't tell with the kitchen as it is certainly not modern but the wallpaper was painted over and it's not flaking off. The house was built in 1958.

I live alone with a young child (who has health problems anyway) and I am concerned about the possibility of lead in the paint. I rent the property. I am wondering what can be done to check and rectify this if there is lead. I'd appreciate any suggestions as I am worried about my son.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Googleing for lead based paint brings up a number of test kit offers and advice - one which points you at a HMG website. (lpdlabservices)

I would suggest that you firstly check the paint tested for lead content. If there is, and at that age of property there probably is, then your next step is to approach your landlord.
If you are on a an AST then unless your contract says differently it is his responsibility to decorate.

A couple of doc's to have a read of :-
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/cis79.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advice-on-lead-paint-in-older-homes

1958 the use of lead paint indoors was diminishing - but get it tested - It was expensive to buy and damned hard work to apply ( used it when working with my dad, on exterior wood until the mid 70's ) So unlikely to be inside @ yours.

Unless you're planning on sanding off the paint (thus creating paint dust) anytime soon, you've got nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. The internal wall paints have chips as do the doorframes and doors, there's paint coming off the radiator badly but I've no idea if that had lead. The kitchen looks as if it has never been redecorated - the wallpaper was painted over but I don't know how long ago. The back porch is just a paint disaster. The landlord repainted before I moved it but lots of the fresh paint flaked off and is still over the floors. Attached is a picture of the outdoor window sills which are the worst for flaking. I am so worried about this because of the age of my son (and I'm renting and a single parent so I am trying to work out how I can deal with this asap).

I've read about encapsulation paint but can't see any for sale in the UK. Does anyone know where I can buy some?

Attachments

• IMG-20200622-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200622-WA0001.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 294
Unless you inhale or eat significant quantities of the paint, it isn't going to hurt you.

It's not something you should be worrying about.

There is no "safe" level for lead.

it is especially dangerous to babies and children because it damages the nervous system and brain.

But yes, if the paint is firmly adhering to the woodwork, it will not do any harm unless somebody chews it, or sands or burns it off so they inhale the particles, get them on their skin, or they settle on the carpets and furniture and blow around as dust.

There is no "safe" level for lead.

it is especially dangerous to babies and children because it damages the nervous system and brain.

But yes, if the paint is firmly adhering to the woodwork, it will not do any harm unless somebody chews it, or sands or burns it off so they inhale the particles, get them on their skin, or they settle on the carpets and furniture and blow around as dust.
Its about quantifying the risk.

As long as the paint isn't turned to dust inside the house and ingested, or the child starts eating flaky bits of paint outside, its not something to worry about.

Yes, it would be better if it wasn't there, but from the OP's original post i get the impression that they think that lead based paint is so toxic its going to do immediate and permenant damage.

Encapsulating just means covering up the existing paint so that it can't be disturbed. Another layer of paint would count as encapsulation as long as the existing paint is not coming off.

The picture of the windowsill doesn't show any obvious sign of lead paint.
In fact, it looks like masonry paint flaking off.

Thank you.
I tested the paint inside - I didn't have enough swabs to test many areas but I tested chipped paints on the doorways and sideboards and they did come back positive for lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back