Lead pipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just found out the property I have purchased has a lead pipe, not a surprise but as it is leaking it is a good opportunity to replace before I move in. I had a plumber in who did other work for me and he said it is fairly cheap and easy to replace it inside the house to the porch with a new pipe. However there is 3m of concrete drive to the outside stopcock. I do plan to replace the drive with something nicer but ideally not instantly.

Now I am wondering is it better to replace the entire pipe now or is it fine to do the piece inside the house now and do the rest at a later date. As it is leaking I need to do it soon. Also a water meter is due to be installed soon, perhaps I can liaise with them? Sutton and east surrey water claim to replace any lead on their side for free - the main itself is iron apparently.

I have no real idea how much this should all cost and how much work is actually involved. I am happy to do some of it myself but not entirely sure what I need to do or the best way to tackle it.

Sponsored Links
It is in the pipe somewhere near to the kitchen sink tap. I haven't pulled the unit out to fully investigate but looking from the dining room under the floorboards it is wet and feels wet from what I can touch of it below the kitchen sink kickboards.

As the house is being rewired there is very little flooring down at the moment so relatively easy to get to it.

get in touch with a local plumber that knows the building control specs for your area, if you were in my area you can have the complete lead service replaced FOC to within 1M to the inlet of your property, and it is up to you to pay for the entry to your property but you would automatically qualify for a £500 grant for the extra work which normally covers it

Sponsored Links
I am finding Sutton and East Surrey water's website rather unhelpful and they seem to want to recommend their own expensive plumbing service. I imagine this will all partly depend on where they decide to bung the water meter. I guess I shall have to contact them on Monday and find out.

I assume it will take a while to get the pipes under the drive sorted in which time I would rather stop the leak, so I guess I will have to do it in two parts.

as already stated contact a local bloke that does this kind of work ask your local building control for a list of who is approved for your area and contact them it wont cost you anything for advice

Now I am wondering is it better to replace the entire pipe now or is it fine to do the piece inside the house now and do the rest at a later date.

You can physically connect old lead to new plastic anywhere you like so you can get your plumber to cut out and replace the inside section no problem. Another idea might be a mole to fit a new pipe all the way but I'd assume it would still involve digging up the section nearest your water toby.

If I was laying a new water main, it would be continuous to the stop tap in the building. The water undertaker WON'T replace anything on your side of the property boundary, lead replacement schemes basically mean they will connect your new main to the street for free.
Get a WIAPS (Water Industry Approved Plumber Scheme) bloke in, they're self certifying to lay the new main, speeds the process up. Liaising with the meter installation crew is a good idea.

If I was laying a new water main, it would be continuous to the stop tap in the building. The water undertaker WON'T replace anything on your side of the property boundary, lead replacement schemes basically mean they will connect your new main to the street for free.
Get a WIAPS (Water Industry Approved Plumber Scheme) bloke in, they're self certifying to lay the new main, speeds the process up. Liaising with the meter installation crew is a good idea.

Well it is definately different in Scotland as I have just had mine done they moled from the street to within 1M of the entry point to the building and connected to existing inlet and I was responsible for the rest

You mean your boundary? Depends where their communication pipe finishes, ie where their isolator is. And if an additional stop tap has been fitted on your property, they take ownership of it, but may or may not take responsibility for the incoming pipe to the extra stop tap. It can get pretty complicated down here.

First thing, call your water company, say you have lead pipes, ask them to take a sample and test for lead content. I had something similar in Thames area, their subsidy was conditional on high lead content, but they took so long to sample it that I had already replaced the pipe, so no subsidy.

p.s.
And replace it in new larger plastic pipe, 25mm or 32mm, it will give you better flow which you will appreciate if you go for a combi or megaflo later.

No I have a below ground isolator in the main footpath outside my house they dug up there and moled about 20m to the rear of my house where the old lead pipe entered and dug up and connected just before it came in to the house, I had to change the last bit but got a £500 grant to do it

Its all a little different in different areas.

A friend had a notice served on him by Thames Water because there was a leak in his property.

He wanted to replace all the pipe inside and the 2m to the street meter.

Providing he used a plumber off the TW list they then paid him a grant towards the work of about £260. There were only about 16 on the list. If I submitted my paperwork then I could probably be on that list

He pulled through the plastic pipe but did not protect the ends and it got a bit scratched. Just how much scratching will the fittings accommodate? Can the scratches be reduced with emery paper?

Tony

If I was laying a new water main, it would be continuous to the stop tap in the building.

Is there any advantage to doing it in one go? I have leak that I wish to deal with soon, so I can replace the rotten timber and start to move in to the property!

bolshy said:

There list has seven people in my area of which two are sutton and east surrey's own company which claim "Fast, friendly and local, our qualified experienced team work with minimal ground disturbance, to you for a fixed hourly rate of £136.80,". I think i will get quotes from one of the other ones.

Sadly the stop tap is in the pavement and currently deep down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back