Lead repair guarantees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had quotes for repairs to our lead valley guttering. The work will involve welding lead patches over damaged areas of the lead. The valley is basically sound having been completely replaced only 8 years ago. The quote is not cheap but what is of most concern is that they are only offering a 12 month guarantee, is this reasonable?

Sponsored Links
We have had quotes for repairs to our lead valley guttering..............................The valley is basically sound
:?: :confused:

12 months for patch repairs sounds reasonable as they are leaving the already defective lead in place.

If however they were intending stripping out the valley and replacing the whole show, then i would expect to receive a longer 'product' guarantee.

You can't weld lead. How much is the quote? More than a hundred or two and I'd tell them to clear off. Why did the previous lead last so poorly? Lead has a life of over 50 years.

Sponsored Links
Lead has a life of over 50 years.

There are several things that can influence the life expectancy of lead products Joe so this is a daft statement.

Lead can be repaired call it lead-burning if you wish.

Thanks for all your replies.
I'm afraid the quote is for quite a lot more than 'a hundred or two' (not allowing for travel costs).
The damage to the roof has been caused by a mixture of slipped slates (we have been completely re-roofed but we do still loose the odd slate ) and general impact damage from things flying about - it does get very windy here.
We have tried and tried to get the local people who did the original job to come and do routine maintenance for us but I guess they are just not interested.
We were hoping for a longer guarantee for the patched areas as I suspect splits caused by expansion/contraction in the repaired areas may not show up for a couple of years.
Anyone doing lead work on the west coast of Scotland please feel free to contact us direct!

The only way to repair with lead would to be fit sections of lead over the fractures but under the lead valley above.You can weld led,as pointed out lead burning BUT this cannot be done to lead thats fitted to valley boards.Any led burning needs to be done before fitting on a level area or at leat that how ive been shown and told how.Dont entertain these guys sumin does not add up.The cost for the repairs i mentioned aree not expensive at all.How much have you been quoted?Im over the border in carlise but it depends how far over the border 30 miles is the limit for me to venture into scotland,if thats within this range pm me or my number is on my profile.

There are several things that can influence the life expectancy of lead products Joe so this is a daft statement.

Take a look at Victorian properties - you'll often see lead that's well over a hundred years old. 8 years is just plain silly.

Why doesn't the OP reinforce his valleys with fibreglass?

The only way to repair with lead would to be fit sections of lead over the fractures but under the lead valley above.You can weld led,as pointed out lead burning BUT this cannot be done to lead thats fitted to valley boards.Any led burning needs to be done before fitting on a level area or at leat that how ive been shown and told how.Dont entertain these guys sumin does not add up.The cost for the repairs i mentioned aree not expensive at all.How much have you been quoted?Im over the border in carlise but it depends how far over the border 30 miles is the limit for me to venture into scotland,if thats within this range pm me or my number is on my profile.
inclined and vertical seams can be done - but it`s probably too long / oversized piece thats why it failed in a valley :idea:

inclined and vertical seams can be done - but it`s probably too long / oversized piece thats why it failed in a valley :idea:
I may have been misinformed.We do lead burning,we were shown by a plumber who used to work for us and it was him who said this when i wanted it done on a job,maybe he just could not be arsed to do it ;)would it not be a fire hazzard lead burning in a lead valley? Thats why i think its leaking,stress fractures.

Take a look at Victorian properties - you'll often see lead that's well over a hundred years old. 8 years is just plain silly.

If lead is installed correctly and a certain weight of lead is used, say code 5 then it can last longer than 100 years.

However if lead is installed incorrectly/poorly it can ruck and split within a couple of years. the lead won't be worn out but it will be split and no longer doing its job.

To arbitrarily say "lead has a life expectancy of over 50 years" is moronic.

I may have been misinformed.We do lead burning,we were shown by a plumber who used to work for us and it was him who said this when i wanted it done on a job,maybe he just could not be a***d to do it ;)would it not be a fire hazzard lead burning in a lead valley? Thats why i think its leaking,stress fractures.
Fire hazard definitely- but if there is room for the apprentice to stay inside with an extinguisher / wet the boards ( not like that :oops: ) It would have been OK . But nowadays :rolleyes:

I've seen patch repairs done loads of times on numerous buildings. The short guarantee is understandable.
The repair will last a year or so but the main problem is that the repair stiffens up the section to which it is applied and this in turn sets up stresses when expanssion takes place leading to more cracks in different places.
Obviously the best option would be to replace but cost may not allow this. If you do ever go down the replace route don't simply scrap the exsisting lead but reuse it as sacraficial flashings. These are strips that are normally placed over the fillet but not nailed, and dressed down into the valley. Their purpose being to protect the new lead or felt or whatever from impact damage from slipped tiles and the eroding effect of dirty rainwater. Not being fixed they can be slid along a fraction after a few years or so to increase their life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back