Lead to Plastic connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been replacing my bathroom suite and as it was pretty old - the bath was the origonal 1930's cast steel bath! Anyway, as it turns out the outlet pipe's under the bath are lead. I need to move it slightly which means I have to shorten the lead pipe.
I know I can cut the lead pipe quite easily to shorten it, but I'll need to then connect a plastic pipe to the lead pipe. The plastic pipe will connect to the new bath outlet.
So, my question : Whats the best way to connect the lead pipe to the plastic? Is there a special connector or is it just a matter of finding the right size match and wrap it tight?
Also, there is another lead pipe from the old overflow. I want to close this off as it is not being used anymore. Whats the best way of closing this incase some water from somewhere else (the pipe disappears into the wall in a block of flats) comes out?

Any pointers would be great!
Thanks!

Mudbream
---

Sponsored Links
Connector is called a leadloc and is available from any plumb center etc just measur the outside diameter before you go and get one as there are two sizes !

tomy said:
Connector is called a leadloc and is available from any plumb center etc just measur the outside diameter before you go and get one as there are two sizes !
Fantastic! I knew there was an easy answer! Thanks for the response - I'll be trying that out soon as!

You mean the waste pipe don't you? Either redrill the wall and use all plastic or connect to the lead with a mcalpine compression socket whichever of the two sizes fits. Take a sawn out sectiuon of lead to the merchants.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
You mean the waste pipe don't you? Either redrill the wall and use all plastic or connect to the lead with a mcalpine compression socket whichever of the two sizes fits. Take a sawn out sectiuon of lead to the merchants.
you must be a young`un, Paul :LOL: Overflows used to be separate to the wastes ;) That was so you could wee out of it while kneeling in the bath.....something I would never do as a nipper :LOL: .....Overflow...hammer it flat, that`ll block the old pipe.

Nige F said:
you must be a young`un, Paul :LOL: Overflows used to be separate to the wastes ;) That was so you could wee out of it while kneeling in the bath.....something I would never do as a nipper :LOL: .....Overflow...hammer it flat, that`ll block the old pipe.

HaHa! That is quite funny! Had a good laugh!
Thanks for the advice though - you think hammering it flat should do the trick? I doubt water would come up it but just want to be safe - I think hammering it should do it.
Thanks for all the help guys - I'll be getting back onto it in the evenings this week!

Yes I've removed overflow pipes in copper going straight out, but I thought this guy was on about lead waste pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back