lead water feed!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my niece has a lead water pipe feeding the property, would she have to pay for this to be changed?............

Sponsored Links
most water authorities supply responsibilities are from the pubic highway to the boundary of the property

thats what i`m not sure about pipshady ,the lead feed goes into the centre of the property which is approx 10 metres from the boundary ........

your local water supply co will have a lead-pipe replacement policy. A partial or complete contribution might be made. Look at their website.

You can request them to take and test water samples at the kitchen sink. They are obliged to do it. If the result is over (some number) of lead pollution they will replace their lead pipes and give you some money towards yours.

the advantage of getting them to replace their bit is that they will probably give you a nice new plastic pipe to connect to, rather than you struggling to connect to some strange size, corroded and squashed thing. If you are replacing your part, you can either get a plumber to do it, or DIY and get a cash amount.

I had to replace one a few years back that was leaking. Sadly they took so long to come and do the lead test sample that I had run new plastic pipe before they tested it, so I got the "replace leaking pipe" subsidy but not the "lead pipe replacement" subsidy, and it was very difficult to connect new 20mm MDPE to their old 1/2" lead at the boundary.

Rules and amounts vary throughout the country. Find out your local policy.

BTW if you are running a new pipe, get a good big one - 25mm or more. This will give better flow and apparent "pressure" especially if you get a combi fitted.

Sponsored Links
BTW if you are running a new pipe, get a good big one - 25mm or more. This will give better flow and apparent "pressure" especially if you get a combi fitted.

Also, look at the regulations regarding the depth, the infill, the position in relation to gas and drain pipes and tracer wires. The water supplier may want to inspect the pipe, before you infill the trench, to ensure it complies with their standards. I think Severn and Trent do a useful leaflet on-line, that's relevant to every area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back