Lead Water Pipe - Tricky Situation

I did wonder if that was the same as a mole.

I am speaking to someone this afternoon who will then come round to look at the job so I'll keep this updated.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Sponsored Links
I sympathise with you . I had exactly the same problem with Scottish water and it was an 8 in the block served by one stopcock.
The lead pipe ran through the close, under the concrete the split both ways to feed all the houses.
I tried to get the other residents to share the cost and even though some of them had young children no-one was interested.
I ended up fitting a filter which not only takes out lead but all other impurities and a lot cheaper
http://www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/own_tap_water_filter.html
This is an inline filter and to save having to renew filters too often I only fitted it in line with the drinking water. Kitchen and bathroom sinks.
Hope this gives you an alternative even a quick temporary answer.
Good luck

Ianblue - interesting idea. I will bear that one in mind. What are the chances it reduces water pressure every so slightly?

Well I take it you have looked it. It claims no no loss of pressure.
I couldn't see any difference and remember this is giving you better quality water than you will get from a new plastic pipe.
Maybe once you see the cost involved you will think it at least worthwhile giving it a try. We loved the taste or lack of it when I fitted the filter.
If I had a wee one I wouldn't hesitate to find a solution.
Incidently I could not get a grant at all.

Sponsored Links
Ian, the website quotes a loss of up to 4%. In my situation, with already poor pressure, that will make a big difference.

But yes, I will consider it once I have the quotes in,

I have just been reading the other posts and see that you may get a separate supply. I hope you do have that opportunity.
I went down that route too, but Scottish water wouldn't entertain that idea.
Its crazy that all the flats have a common stopcock in the pavement Still thats council house standard.
I wanted a new take-off from the main in the street to a new stopcock in the pavement.
Ironically in a previous house of ours the council changed from lead to plastic free, but thats all stopped now.
Anyhow let us know how you get on.

I was wondering the same myself. I think these filters do just that - filter out suspended material. But as you say, it won't be able to pull out dissolved lead ions (checked this with a chemist last night).

So the claims from this filter company are a bit misleading, sadly.

Quick update:

Council stated that grant should still be fine with laying a new supply.

First recommended plumber been round and doesn't think the job will be any problem. Simple matter of putting a t-junction in at the supply end, which is apparently already plastic (confirmed by Scottish Water) and then running new plastic pipe just for our property. I shall await the quote :)

If a t-junction is used, is that still likely to improve our water pressure?

if it is a supply to multiple properties then, with luck, they will have used quite a large size of pipe. If you put in 25mm or 32mm then you can expect plenty of flow, despite the Tee.

He will need to have a stop-cock ready for your bit of pipe, so the supply need only be turned off briefly while he puts the Tee on, to minimise inconvenience to the other householders. Plastic stopcocks are suprisingly expensive.

Ta. Clearly there's a big difference in cost but in the grand scheme of things I'm not too worried about the cost. I'm fully expecting this job to cost a couple of grand - so will be interesting to how wrong I am (hopefully its far cheaper!)

I have just read the posts which suggests water filters cannot take lead out of the water supply.
I have checked this and found that it does according to this link. They say 98% clause 8
I was a bit taken aback by this as I have fitted one for my son who has lead incoming mains and he is pedantic about lead poisoning!
I have also contacted the supplier of the one which I fitted and am waiting for their reply. I am also going to get a water purity check by Scottish Water with the filter fitted.
I think you are doing the right thing in changing to plastic for a permanent solution.
I would do that too if the cost was within reason.

http://www.mwcog.org/environment/water/watersupply/lead/faq.asp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back