Leadwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've never done leadwork before. Just trying to form it around the tiles. There are gaps between lead and tiles. Prob about 5mm. Don't seem to be able to get it tighter. Is this nomal/OK?

Sponsored Links
I’ve seen worse, but I’d be more concerned about the lack of upstand on the brickwork, and the pitch of the roof looks awfully shallow. And don’t d you oil the lead, both sides ?

Shallow upstand can't be helped. Roof pitch is 15 degrees and has to go under 1st floor windows.

Any tips to get the lead and tiles closer?

A little heat and keep dressing, work it from the back to the front

Sponsored Links
you do not need heat, put hand pressure on top of the tile roll. the keep dressing with a suitable dresser, it will sit down snug if you persevere

Yes oil it when ever you stop. So if you stop and are going to continue the next day oil what ever you have done .
Oil under lower edges and clips.

Looking at the pictures , it would have been easier to put the upstand and chase bends in before fitting.

Also you could have gone up to the next joint up in between the windows.
More weather proof. I won't mention cavity trays ....

Yes oil it when ever you stop. So if you stop and are going to continue the next day oil what ever you have done .
Oil under lower edges and clips.

Looking at the pictures , it would have been easier to put the upstand and chase bends in before fitting.

Also you could have gone up to the next joint up in between the windows.
More weather proof. I won't mention cavity trays ....
Thanks for comments. I will oil when I stop, thanks.

But you did mention cavity trays!! I did ask the architect and said they weren't needed and certainly wasn't going to argue!! Presumably lots of people who do a lean to extension do not have cavity trays?

He's wrong
Why? Brickwork looks in decent condition, windows are over most of the lead, I'm not in a very exposed position, the overhang from roof above is only a couple of meters away...?? Why would I rip out all those bricks to put them back with only 30% of the mortar?
Think I will stick without a tray.

I'm just pointing out right from wrong.
trays under windows too.....
You could always ask BC

Last edited:
With out (y)

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200208_104848.jpg
    MVIMG_20200208_104848.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 177
Small amount of masonry and a sheltered location means you should be ok. Might be prudent to paint the bricks with stormdry before you finish.

architect is still wrong..poor practice, Short upstand will add to any issue. Hopefully it'll be ok
The picture was in Twickenham North elevation

Brickwork looks in decent condition

Bricks themselves are porous which is one of the reasons cavities were "invented". If the conditions are right and driving rain hits the wall there is a good chance it will cause problems with no cavity trays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back