Lead lined guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Guttering question. My house is about 150 years old and the guttering is a trough built into the top of the wall. Stone tiles on the roof and the gutter doesn't protrude over the edge. I don't know what you call this system but it's lead lined and I don't think it's sound.

The lead doesn't fit the whole half moon shape of the trough for a start and I suspect it ought to lap over on both sides. It's well short on either side which is surely no good when we get those biblical downpours. I'm on high ground too and the winds can be very strong particularly on one end of this particular stretch of wall. I think heavy rain and driving wind is pushing rain over the inside and under the stone tiles. Black mold on the top front corner in the bedroom and patches of damp plaster is my evidence. Not loads of mold or running walls but enough to concern me.

I have a notion (oh dear) that I may be able to run wider pieces of lead over the top of the original and push it under the tiles and fold over the outer edge of the wall. I've never done leadwork tbh, just watched videos on the web. I get the basics about cutting into lengths to reduce thermal movement and different codes of material. I think you use tubes of lead sealant to seal the joints. How it's held in place, weight of the lead?

Length of wall is probably about 20 feet and then there's round the corner another 12 feet. What sort of money do you think is about right for Northern prices to get it done professionally.

What's involved to do it DIY? I do not want to consider removing tiles and I don 't think it's going to be easy to get into the loft area either.

I've a new tin of Thompson's 10 year roof seal which is tempting to throw at it, brush on actually, two or three good coats. I just don't want to botch the job and find it doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
I have never replace a lead lined gutter without removing the bottom few rows of slates. Could you put some pictures up

When I get chance to get the ladders back up there I'll take a pic. They're the so called Yorkshire Stone tiles and will be very old so I'm not keen on removing or trying to lift them as they may crack or, could turn into a bigger job anyway.

I've put ladders up to the gutter this evening and taken a couple of pics. It doesn't look as bad as I thought once I was up there. One part I could see where the lead isn't overlapping the edge (near stink pipe in 1st pic) perhaps and the lead overlap joints themselves perhaps could use some lead sealant too.

What is this type of gutter generally called?
20160530_204439_resized.jpg 20160530_204459_resized.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oh, and I read that Thompsons 10 Year Roof Seal isn't suitable for lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back