Leak after service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the boiler (Ferroli HE26C) serviced under contract this morning.

Engineer had the case off & did some stuff inside, plus topped up the pressure very slightly (IIRC .9bar cold to 1.5bar)
I haven't touched the boiler in the last 6 months minimum.

Have now discovered a drip coming from the left CH return pipe, which i don't think was there this morning, although I'll admit I only really was looking as it'd been serviced.

Is this likely to be new (pressure increase? something disturbed when putting the case on?), or existing that the engineer failed to spot?

Just trying to gauge how much of a battle any callback is likely to be :)

Sponsored Links
If you were unaware of if there was or was not a leak prior to service, then it would be very difficult to say what the reason is, that it is now evident.
But regardless of that or blame, it does need sorting out. A polite call to the service engineer, will very likely go a long way to having the issue rectified.

Any small leak will cause the pressure to go down so if you have not needed to increase the pressure during the last six months then it will not have been leaking before.

It is probably mainly as a result of increasing the pressure to the correct value.

It is not the engineer's fault as such but probably the consequence of a slightly loose joint and the correct system pressure. More likely to have started to leak a while after he left.

Most will come and sort it out free but a little tip would probably not be refused!

Tony

Most will cone back for free, you dont half speak some rubbish sometimes.

Op, I wouldnt get your hopes up on a free visit, if they do, its a bonus.

Good luck, hope its sorted soon.

Sponsored Links
Nice one Tony. You would catch a bus across London to possibly have to a obtain and exchange an isolating valve FOC? Even when said valve can be £40 plus?
OP: Isolation valves on boilers are notorious for leaking which is why we do everything to avoid turning them. They can be stupidly expensive. Sometimes though you have to operate them, but I always forewarn the client that it is at his risk. Ignore Tony: he would probably claim to "exercise" every boiler valve he sees

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DP
I would exercise valves on a good quality boiler but not on a Ferolli. No one in their right mind would move them on a service.

You may remember the service agent for Ferroli when asked how he manages to repair them, he replied " I fix them and then tip toe out".

Some nasty customers would even contemplate taking the RGI to court for servicing the boiler and leaving it leaking.

I would love to think that most will come free. Perhaps more that I expect are not very nice? Mr Combi included it seems.

If any customer had any concerns after I had done a service or a repair then I would certainly come free of charge to have a look.

Tony

I would exercise valves on a good quality boiler but not on a Ferolli. No one in their right mind would move them on a service.

You may remember the service agent for Ferroli when asked how he manages to repair them, he replied " I fix them and then tip toe out".

Some nasty customers would even contemplate taking the RGI to court for servicing the boiler and leaving it leaking.

I would love to think that most will come free. Perhaps more that I expect are not very nice? Mr Combi included it seems.

If any customer had any concerns after I had done a service or a repair then I would certainly come free of charge to have a look.

Tony
Well Tony lad I have had dealings with @McCombi and can assure you he is a decent lad, and I would have him attend any of my customers long before I would recommend you, where do you get off slagging engineers that you have no knowledge of ? if you want to make a comment on any other engineer do it in the CC, not on a public forum , people have livings to make and reputation in this game is everything.

Well Tony lad I have had dealings with @McCombi and can assure you he is a decent lad, and I would have him attend any of my customers long before I would recommend you, where do you get off slagging engineers that you have no knowledge of ? if you want to make a comment on any other engineer do it in the CC, not on a public forum , people have livings to make and reputation in this game is everything.

It is this kind of remark that Tony has made in the past about me that makes me question his abilities as a heating engineer. Now I see Tony as an armchair RGI, knows a lot but not much of use. This has been proven in current two threads that are rolling

He has been at it all day even worse than usual, think he is on the Rioja or as wee call it Buckfast

Just to qualify my earlier post, that I made on my phone while waiting for a phone call:
OP: Phone the RGI . and explain your concern. His attitude will depend on his nature, your nature, his location relative to yours and any number of other things. If a customer phoned me with a leak post repair, I would almost certainly go around to have a look. But ALL of my customers are within 8 miles and 20 minutes drive, and most within 3 miles and 5 minutes. If I lived in a City with all the associated travelling time and parking issues, I may have a different outlook. But my annoyance is with Tony giving the impression that any RGI should sort it FOC (if he is a "nice" engineer)

Just a random ferolli valve:
http://www.gas-spares.co.uk/Catalogue/x/original-spares-FERROLI-FE/ISOLATION-VALVES-KIT-NS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back