Leak at the back of toilet

Last time I saw a corner cistern like that it had a plastic shroud and two screws where the flush cone usually is.
Tread carefully if it is the same, stupid design and stupid price for parts.

Sponsored Links
indeed ! but you can roll it like plasticine into sausages
You can but I think there is a high risk of cracking the plastic nut as force is applied to compress the stuff in the hands of a diyer.

Reactions: CBW
You can but I think there is a high risk of cracking the plastic nut as force is applied to compress the stuff in the hands of a diyer.

I would suggest substantially less risk than a DIY'er tightening to fix a leak, against a soft washer. Plumbers Mait is very pliable.

Sponsored Links
substantially less risk than a DIY'er tightening to fix a leak
He proports to be new in the trade rather than a DIY'er.

If he is a trade then he really needs to know how to repair these things properly if it's not just a nip up job. Using tape/thread/goo/etc isn't really fixing it and it's always good experience to take these things apart, figure out what's wrong and fix it the way it should be, that includes dealing with incorrect and rusted fittings and fixing.

He proports to be new in the trade rather than a DIY'er.

Not the way I would interpret, from his posts.

Using tape/thread/goo/etc isn't really fixing it and it's always good experience to take these things apart, figure out what's wrong and fix it the way it should be, that includes dealing with incorrect and rusted fittings and fixing.

Sometimes the goo is the only thing which can work. Some years ago, I tried numerous times to form a reliable seal around the drain socket of my hand wash-basin. Plumbers Mait finally proved a seal, which has lasted several years.

I suffered the slightest of persistent leaks, where the flush pipe entered both of my toilets and someone on here suggested Plumbers Mait, which I already had in stock, there have been not the slightest leak since using it.

for someone who is new in the trade of plumbing
Post #1, I took that as he is trade.

Though I did ask in another post from the OP as to what training and work had been done previously, as some of the questions would be in basic plumbing training 1o1

I have always found that if a flush cone leaks then it's either down to it being misaligned or not fitted correctly and fully home, as long as the cone is the correct type and size.

I must be honest, with all the modern connections and fixings available these days I'm amazed that they haven't come up with a better universal flush pipe cone that works properly every time and will stay where it's meant to.

Hmmm ... I feel a dragons den moment coming on .... :unsure:

I must be honest, with all the modern connections and fixings available these days I'm amazed that they haven't come up with a better universal flush pipe cone that works properly every time and will stay where it's meant to.

That was the problem I had - The sockets weren't that smooth and so near impossible to get them to fully seal. I popped the cones in boiling water to get them to regain their as new shape, but they continued to suffer a slight leak.

Hmmm ... I feel a dragons den moment coming on .... :unsure:

No need, Fill the cone's fins with Plumbers Mait add some where it seals against the face of the pot, press it tightly in place and scrap off what squeezes out - job done, and no more drips.

That was the problem I had - The sockets weren't that smooth and so near impossible to get them to fully seal. I popped the cones in boiling water to get them to regain their as new shape, but they continued to suffer a slight leak.

No need, Fill the cone's fins with Plumbers Mait add some where it seals against the face of the pot, press it tightly in place and scrap off what squeezes out - job done, and no more drips.
Until the next chap comes along and has to deal with all that sticky goo.

Believe me, I've seen and tried it all when it comes to flush cones - from Duck tape, through plumbers mate to silicone, from ribbed to skirted and double skirted cones and they have all leaked at one point or another

The only stuff I've ever been able to use without any comeback is silicone adhesive - like wet grab or similar - it's sticks to everything and sets as a firm rubber, even in the wet. The other trick I've found is if the pan casting isn't even, to spray hammerite (rad enamel) the internal section and let it dry, ends up with a nice smooth hard finish, then use a new cone.

Until the next chap comes along and has to deal with all that sticky goo.

Believe me, I've seen and tried it all when it comes to flush cones - from Duck tape, through plumbers mate to silicone, from ribbed to skirted and double skirted cones and they have all leaked at one point or another

The only stuff I've ever been able to use without any comeback is silicone adhesive - like wet grab or similar - it's sticks to everything and sets as a firm rubber, even in the wet. The other trick I've found is if the pan casting isn't even, to spray hammerite (rad enamel) the internal section and let it dry, ends up with a nice smooth hard finish, then use a new cone.
Sorry, just to be clear, I have had lots of flush cones that haven't ever leaked ;) but I have had a few that did and yes that usually down to a rough/mis-shaped pan casting and I after trying everything and IME, only the silicone adhesive has worked long term.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back