Toilet Cystern Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Four year old toilet system leaking from the washer point that secures cistern to pan.

Washer in good order. No visible damage.

Could someone please advise how I might stop the leak.

p.s. it is only on one side of the cistern.

Sponsored Links
When does it leak?

If it only leaks when it's flushed, the seal (doughnut washer) between the cistern and pan is suspect.

If it leaks constantly, then the fixing of the syphon/flush valve to the cistern, and any fixing bolts going through the cistern shell are suspect.

Many prefer the larger soft (foam?) rubber doughnut washers available to the harder washers often fitted.

Fitting something like rubber tap washers under the heads of bolts running through a cistern will often help seal them.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It is leaking constantly. Do you have any idea what it might cost to replace the syphon / flush valve?

Steve

Steve,

Didn't have the same problem as you but I have very recently changed the flush valve/siphon. About a year back I also changed the doughnut and fittings when I redecorated [had to take the cistern off and decided to swap the very old doughnut and fittings at the same time.

The doughnut and fittings cost only a few quid for new ones.

The very recent change of flush only cost me about £13 for a new unit and push button flush [my old siphon wasconnected with a lever handle]

Can give you some links if needs be. What type of valve? I went for a flapper type which is much better than my old siphon/valve.

Sponsored Links
Check that the wingnuts holding the cistern underneath are similarly tightened & that one side doesn't have more thread showing than the other.
If so then you will likely get a leak as one side is pulled down more than the other which makes the other side lift a little

Check that the wingnuts holding the cistern underneath are similarly tightened & that one side doesn't have more thread showing than the other.
If so then you will likely get a leak as one side is pulled down more than the other which makes the other side lift a little

If its leaking constantly, it won't be the doughnut or a problem with the wing nut joint/seating. It will be the joint between the bottom of the syphon and the cistern. Remove the cistern, remove the syphon, put a bead of sealant around the hole at the bottom of the cistern, where the syphon passes through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back