Leak behind soffit boards

Ugh! Ive just tried fitting the foam filler (for my 34/1000 profile sheets) and theres too much slack on the thin section! (the highers sections fit fine):

View attachment 279475View attachment 279476

Ive contacted the foam filler company and they say its not the right measurements for their 34/1000 profile.
View attachment 279477

I presumed all 34/1000 profiles would be the same measurements?!

Your sheets appear to be identical to the ones on both my garage and my workshop, which are intended to be installed with the wider part (71mm??) sat down on the support joists. I bought the foam filler and it fitted perfectly, narrow section uppermost, wide section down and trapped between metal sheet and the timber. I can only guess that some of the metal sheet is designed to fit the other way up, with filler strip to match. I notice you still have that rubber strip in place, if those photos are current.

Sponsored Links
This is what I bought: https://www.cladco.co.uk/fixings-and-accessories/pairs-of-profiled-foam-fillers-to-fit-34-1000

Each length has 2 parts to it. I only fitted one 'half' to it otherwise it completely wouldnt fit.

I was trying this as it was raining heavily so was in a bit of a rush. When its dry I will go out and try and see what Im doing wrong! I thought it would be a simple case of putting the filler in! But from what I can see its not the right measurments.

(haha - youre very observant! Yes, I had to put that rubber bit back on becuase water is p-ssing down behind the fascia board! There is a section of the roof that doesnt even reach the gutter! So at least with the rubber bit there it extend somewhat to the gutter. Its the best of 2 evils. :cautious: )

This is what I bought: https://www.cladco.co.uk/fixings-and-accessories/pairs-of-profiled-foam-fillers-to-fit-34-1000

Each length has 2 parts to it. I only fitted one 'half' to it otherwise it completely wouldnt fit.

Yes, I understand now, the profile is cut from one peace of material.

(haha - youre very observant! Yes, I had to put that rubber bit back on becuase water is p-ssing down behind the fascia board! There is a section of the roof that doesnt even reach the gutter! So at least with the rubber bit there it extend somewhat to the gutter. Its the best of 2 evils. :cautious: )

So either the building, or the sheets are at an angle - so no easy solution and it explains the atempted fix with the rubber sheets.

All I can suggest is either to by some more of the sheet metal, or leave the rubber sheet in place put form a lip in the end of the metal sheet. You problem is water tracking under the sheet metal, between the metal and the rubber. A lip will force it by gravity to drip down and away.

Hi guys, thought Id post an update.

I managed to stuff a mixture of eave fillers and some spare floor installation I had. Its now fully bunged-up:

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 13.30.54.jpeg
I will try bending some drip loops into the sheets (I havnt had time yet as Ive been away) and will look into removing that rubber overhang thing (again). Next time it rains I will go out and investigate if my filler is doing the job.

While Im at it, I thought Id ask how best to handle to handle the lack of drip edges on the new windowsills. When it rains I can see the water track under the sill and back on the wall!

20220919_133400.jpg

@pcaouolte mentioned a bead of silicone (which is a good idea!) but wondered if theres a product I can buy that would do the job?

Sponsored Links
While Im at it, I thought Id ask how best to handle to handle the lack of drip edges on the new windowsills. When it rains I can see the water track under the sill and back on the wall!

Those sills should have been set in at a slope, so the water would drip off the outer lip. Any way that you can reset them?

Those sills should have been set in at a slope, so the water would drip off the outer lip. Any way that you can reset them?
Im afraid not (without great expense). My other sills- the original ones - have a groove along the bottom edge so the water drips off them.

Im afraid not (without great expense). My other sills- the original ones - have a groove along the bottom edge so the water drips off them.

Anything stuck on there, I suspect would eventually become unstuck, so I would be more inclined to suggest to suggest you ought to find a way to grind a groove into the material. Were it me, I would be trying to devise some sort of guide for a angle grinder, fitted with a diamond cutting disk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back